The 1st shift Area Department Manager is responsible for leading and supervising the day-to-day operations of an area within a department within the distribution center. In this role, the Area Department Manager develops and implements daily staff production plans that enable the achievement of the area’s daily production and operational requirements. To achieve the processing requirements of the area, the Area Department Manager is responsible for determining and communicating associate assignments and needs, and ensuring the execution of these assignments in a safe, accurate and efficient manner. The Area Department Manager is also responsible for associate training and development, performance management, department housekeeping, asset protection, and continuous process improvement. S/he has a clear voice in hiring of successful candidates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Review daily processing and operational requirements of an area within a department; develop and implement daily staff production plan for area; determine and communicate staff assignments in a timely and fair manner.
- Communicate departmental/company standards (e.g., reasonable expectations), goals, policies, and other relevant business information to associates; conduct daily huddles and engage associates regularly to promote open, two-way communication with associates.
- Manage associate performance and provide frequent coaching and performance feedback; address performance issues in a timely and constructive manner (partner with the Department manager when formal corrective action is needed); support facility associate performance recognition programs.
- Complete and deliver associate performance evaluations in a timely and effective manner.
- Train and develop associates to perform job duties safely and effectively.
- Adjust associate work assignments as needed to ensure execution of daily production plan and operational standards; communicate critical production issues and concerns to Department Manager; develop, discuss, and execute solutions as needed.
- Participate in department and area staffing activities, including candidate interviewing and selection.
- Identify, develop, and implement process improvement initiatives to continuously improve the operations (e.g., safety, productivity, quality) of the area; engage associates for input in identifying and developing process improvement initiatives.
- Communicate and collaborate with other managers in the facility to ensure coordination of operational activities and initiatives within the building.
- Create and promote a positive associate relations environment in area and department; ensure policies and procedures are properly and consistently administered; communicate and uphold “open door” policy; address associate issues in a timely and fair manner; partner with Department Manager and HR Department as needed to address and resolve associates issues and concerns.
Promote safety awareness and accountability through ongoing associate education and training; role model safe work practices; identify and proactively address potential safety hazards.
If you need reasonable accommodations to complete the on-line application, please contact the Human Resource Department:
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. to recruit, hire, train, promote, transfer and compensate our associates and provide all other conditions of employment including Company sponsored events without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, lawful alien status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, employment status or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.