The 2nd Assistant Store Director (ASD) supports and is guided by the Assistant Store Director (ASD) in all aspects of store operations. The spirit of service is at the core of everything we do. Teamwork is the heart of extraordinary service at Lucky’s Market. The ASD will lead a team with creativity, passion for the product, and quality driven leadership style. Partnering with other Store Leadership you will be responsible for Team Member hiring, development, terminations and holding all teams accountable for their work. The ASD 2 is responsible for profitability, expense control (packaging and labor), inventory control, buying and merchandising for the store’s Non-Perishable Goods Departments (Front End, Frozen and Grocery) regulatory compliance and special projects as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist and be a partner to ASD in all areas of operations.
- Gain skills necessary to be an Assistant Store Director.
- Maintain outstanding retail execution and customer service store for Non- Perishable Goods Departments (Front End, Frozen and Grocery). Assists ASD to achieve store wide results.
- Handle customer complaints when necessary.
- Uphold and communicate regional and store programs and standards (such as merchandizing, quality, freshness, safety, cleanliness, and others) to Department Managers and Team Members; regularly inspect store to assure all programs and standards are maintained.
- Partners with ASD to interview, hire, train, develop, counsel, and separate Department and Team Members to build and sustain high-performance teams.
- Establish and maintain a positive work environment that supports high Team Member morale and Lucky’s Market’s standard of excellence. Lead by example.
- Support the SD and ASD in quarterly inventory, safety, merchandising, financial, and physical store issues.
- Review and monitor scheduling, purchases, and all other expenses regularly to ensure assigned department teams and store expenses are within budget.
- Partner in creating a successful and profitable store with emphasis on Non-Perishable Department performance.
- Help conduct effective All-Store and Department Manager meetings.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of, and ensure compliance with, all relevant regularity rules and standards.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years professional margin driven grocery/retail management experience.
- Previous experience in the organic and natural foods industry is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Business acumen.
- Strong merchandising and operational skills.
- Ability to efficiently plan and execute for results.
- Ability to analyze and create action plans for financial statements.
- Ability to improve performance through motivation, training and setting clear expectations.
- Ability to create a highly motivated and collaborative team environment
- Strong organizational skills for follow-through and the ability to juggle and prioritize
- Strong work ethic, and ability to lead by example.
- Strong negotiating and purchasing skills.
- Burning desire to offer outstanding service to all stakeholders – customers, team members, vendors and producers.
- Passion for all things food and the willingness to explore, expand and learn. Also the willingness to share knowledge and inspire passion in others.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and documentation skills.
- Ability to work flexible days including weekends and holidays as needed.
- Proficiency with Excel and Word.
- Ability to travel and commute
- Commitment to achieving excellence.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while managing a cross-functional team environment.
- Capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Strong attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Solid understanding of Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.
- Ability to enter the cooler and freezer thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Variable conditions related to commuting and travel.