Energize your career with one of Healthcare’s fastest growing companies.
You dream of a great career with a great company – where you can make an impact and help people. We dream of giving you the opportunity to do just this. And with the incredible growth of our business, it’s a dream that definitely can come true. Already one of the world’s leading Healthcare companies, UnitedHealth Group is restlessly pursuing new ways to operate our service centers, improve our service levels and help people lead healthier lives. We live for the opportunity to make a difference and right now, we are living it up.
This opportunity is with one of our most exciting business areas: Optum – a growing part of our family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group a Fortune 6 leader.
Optum helps nearly 60 million Americans live their lives to the fullest by educating them about their symptoms, conditions and treatments; helping them to navigate the system, finance their healthcare needs and stay on track with their health goals. No other business touches so many lives in such a positive way. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
The Accounts Receivable Specialist (AR Follow Up) will work directly with a third-party claims vendor to assist and respond to claims processing errors, following up with patients and resolving account issues. The position will also entail daily duties, such as, resolving aging accounts receivable, processing patient refunds, and processing mail. The employee will observe company policies and all applicable laws and regulations regarding healthcare claim accounts receivables. They will work closely with other staff to share pertinent patient information and to identify and resolve billing issues and questions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with a third-party claims vendor to resolve patient account issues
- Convey pertinent billing information to patients and providers
- Enter payments from patients and payers into billing system
- Ensure all payer and patient payments have been appropriately allocated, helping to alleviate the financial burden to patient
- Audit claims and resolve issues while working with third party billing company
- Assist third party billing company with review and appeal unpaid and denied claims
- Handle collections on unpaid accounts
- Complete medical records requests and corresponding invoices
- Identify trends/recurring issues, working with third party vendor data, and present to supervisor for remediation
- Communicate consistently and professionally with other Orthology employees and third-party billing company
- Adhere to HIPAA guidelines, to other relevant state and federal regulations, and to company policies regarding to compliance, integrity, patient privacy and ethical billing practices.
- Perform other tasks or special projects as assigned
- Working knowledge of commercial insurance, Medicare/Medicaid, Workers Compensation and Personal Injury claims
- Can effectively utilize electronic health record systems and other billing technologies
- Understands HIPAA and other relevant regulations affecting patient information and billing practices
- Working knowledge and application of basic accounting practices, ICD-9 and 10, CPT and HCPCS coding.
- Solid Microsoft Office/Google Suite skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Detail oriented, flexible and creative
- Ability to confront difficult situations and make appropriate and timely decisions
- Effective prioritization and multitasking with demonstrated ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Persistence and problem solving
- Effective communications
- Customer service orientation
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 5+ years of experience in medical billing and / or AR follow up
- Experience working with Electronic Health Records (EHR) billing systems
- College Degree
- Billing / coding certification and continuing education
- Physical therapy, rehabilitation and / or medical coding
- Knowledge of medical terminology
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Accounts Receivable Follow Up, AR, Medical Billing, Electronic Health Records, EHR, Minnetonka, MN