The Apothecary Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the Apothecary Department including staff, sales, margin, and labor. They are required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Apothecary Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares the weekly sales and labor projections for the Apothecary Department in order to maximize sales and profits; ensures department operations are within the labor percentage allowed.
- Monitors and controls all costs and expenses; includes proper ordering, inventory control, avoiding out of stock goods and/or overstocks, controlling shrink, and monitoring ad displays.
- Manages the Apothecary Department staff including hiring, training, scheduling, coaching, and initiating required performance reviews; ensures staff is trained on all policies and procedures.
- Oversees shift operations including writing and/or approving Department work schedules.
- Ensures weekly flyer ads are in stock and ready for sale during business hours and that product for upcoming ads are ordered, in stock, and available for processing.
- Stocks Apothecary department; includes facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Apothecary Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Ensures cleanliness of Apothecary aisles, storage area, and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of liquid spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Responds positively to customer’s inquiries and assists customers with purchases, information and product selection; requires selling and cross selling of products.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Monitors the rotation of all Apothecary products paying particular attention to expired stock and discarding outdated or spoiled items; including keeping a code date log for the products in order to clear or trade out product before it is set to expire.
- Balances the Apothecary general ledger and financial statements.
- Oversees pre-inventory preparation; includes back stock and assuring tags match products.
- Manages department inventory control ensuring no out of stocks and/or over-stocks.
- Coordinates events such as lectures and health fairs with Marketing.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years professional experience.
- Preferred 3-5 years grocery retail experience in Apothecary department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in a natural foods industry is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
- Must have knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to support and contribute to team goals.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
- Must have advanced knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze and interpret Company financial statements and results.
- Advanced knowledge of Apothecary products and ability to reference customer questions.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.