First Student is a leader in transportation of children K-12. As the largest provider of student transportation in North America, First Student is more than twice the size of the next largest competitor. Industry-leading safety programs, strong customer relationships and service record are the key differentiators.
At First Student, our Area General Managers are a constant reflection of our company’s commitment to safety and customer service. The Area General Manager is responsible for overall leadership and performance across an area of locations to include: revenue growth, expense management, EBIT, employee culture, customer partnerships, labor/contract negotiations and fleet management. They will also manage 19 locations and a fleet of over 1,000 buses throughout the Southern Oregon, Montana, and Idaho.
Area General Manager Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership to the Location Managers and other employees in order to achieve goals for safety, revenue, cost optimized operations, maintenance and service.
- Represents First Student with school administrators for contract negotiations and represents First Student for all labor negotiations.
- P&L responsibility for the entire region.
- Tracks and addresses trends in KPIs. Leads and develops action plans with Location Manager addressing location performance gaps.
- Tracks and addresses local competitive threats to route share.
- Defines business terms in union and non-union wage negotiations. Negotiates customer contract terms.
- Drive Location Manager ownership of employee recruiting and retention.
- Maintains school decision maker relationships by establishing and growing trusted partnerships with school districts and the community.
- Ensures locations apply safety practices. Model and promote First Student’s commitment to Safety.
- Negotiates school contracts with sustainable value and competitive revenue per route.
- Maximizes contract revenue pricing and volumes.
- Provides accurate forecasts of performance to First Student management.
Area General Manager Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Logistics, Supply Chain, or related discipline; will consider commensurate work experience.
- 5+ years’ experience with proven leadership abilities and transportation or logistic systems knowledge.
- 5+ years’ experience managing a P&L, ideally with customer service and safety elements.
- In depth understanding of the KPI’s (safety, financial, customers).
- Experience working with unionized employees and negotiating labor contracts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is desired.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to build and continuously motivate highly effective teams.
- Strong presentation skills with interpersonal savvy in dealing with customers.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills.
- Strong business background in financial, strategic, and organizational analysis.
- Competitive base salary and attractive annual bonus incentive
First Student’s commitment to putting our customers first, dedication to safety, and an ambition to deliver dependable transportation makes for a working environment you’ll love. As a huge company with 120,000 staff and over 2.5 billion customers worldwide, you’ll also enjoy security, a brilliant future, and excellent training.
Apply today to join our team!
First Student is an Equal Opportunity Employer.