- Assist Roadmaster and Signal Supervisor in all MOW functions for various short line railroads.
- Inspect railroad track structure for compliance with company policy and Federal/State regulations.
- Detect deviations from the Federal/State regulations and implement remedial action.
- Repair or direct crews to repair or replace track structure defects.
- Oversee/direct production gang work.
- Inspect completed work to verify conformance to government regulations.
- Perform special inspections of the track structure in times of severe weather or other events which may damage railroad.
- Perform other tasks necessary to the efficient operation of the railroad.
- Perform inspections, maintenance or repairs of signal systems.
- Inspect and test signal circuitry using standard electrical and/or electronic testing equipment.
- Inspect, test and maintain batteries to insure proper operation of signals.
- Inspect, test and maintain signal equipment such as grade crossing warning devices, power switches and switch air unit controllers.
- Compile reports including mileage of track inspected, tests performed and repairs made. Replace required equipment when needed.
- Operate rail or highway vehicle for transportation to wayside locations to install, inspect, test and maintain or repair grade crossing warning systems, signals and signal equipment.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Ability to supervise employees and perform duties without direct supervision.
- Ability to recognize problems and appropriately and efficiently make repairs.
- Ability to stand for long periods, walk and move rapidly, climb, bend, stoop, twist and turn frequently, and lifts weights up to 50 lbs.
- Willingness to work outdoors in various weather conditions and temperatures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of FRA Track/Signal Safety Standards and Roadway Worker Protection regulations.
- Willingness to work flexible schedules and work assignments.
- Ability to operate in a Track Warrant Control territory.
- Minimum 5 years track/signal experience with at least 1 year in a supervisory capacity.
- Education Required: High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training
- Education Preferred: Associate's Degree
- Related Experience Required: 3 years related experience in the rail industry
- Related Experience Preferred: 5 years related experience in the rail industry
- Must have a valid driver’s license. CDL preferred, or willingness to obtain CDL if necessary.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Laurens, South Carolina, United States