The Assistant Store Director (ASD) supports and is guided by the Store Director (SD) in all aspects of store operations. The spirit of service is at the core of everything we do. Teamwork is the heart of extraordinary service at Lucky’s Market. The ASD will lead a team with creativity, passion for the product, and quality driven leadership style. Partnering with other Store Leadership you will be responsible for Team Member hiring, training and development, terminations and holding all teams accountable for their work. The ASD is responsible for profitability, expense control (packaging and labor), inventory control, buying and merchandising store wide with emphasis on Perishable Goods Departments (Produce, Meat, Deli) regulatory compliance and special projects as assigned. The ASD also provides leadership and direction to the ASD2.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist and be a partner to SD in all areas of operations.
- Gain skills necessary to be a Store Director.
- Maintain outstanding retail execution and customer service store wide with emphasis on Perishable Goods Departments (Produce, Meat and Deli).
- Handle customer complaints when necessary.
- Uphold and communicate regional and store programs and standards (such as merchandizing, quality, freshness, safety, cleanliness, and others) to Assistant Store Director 2, Department Managers and Team Members; regularly inspect store to assure all programs and standards are maintained.
- Assist SD to interview, hire, train, develop, counsel, and separate Department and Team Members to build and sustain high-performance teams. Establish and maintain a positive work environment that supports high Team Member morale and Lucky’s Market’s standard of excellence. Lead by example.
- Support the DS in quarterly inventory, safety, merchandising, financial, and physical store issues.
- Review and monitor scheduling, purchases, and all other expenses regularly to ensure team and store expenses are within budget.
- Partner in creating a successful and profitable store
- Help conduct effective All-Store and Department Manager meetings. Maintain comprehensive knowledge of, and ensure compliance with, all relevant regularity rules and standards.
- Accountable to schedule and facilitate Lucky’s Market Training programs store wide.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years professional margin driven grocery/retail management experience.
- Previous experience in the organic and natural foods industry is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Superior merchandising and operational skills
- Strong business acumen.
- Efficient planning and ability to execute for results.
- Ability to analyze and create action plans for financial statements.
- Ability to improve performance through motivation, training and setting clear expectations.
- Ability to create a highly motivated and collaborative team environment
- Superior organizational skills for follow-through and the ability to juggle and prioritize
- Strong work ethic, and ability to lead by example.
- Strong negotiating and purchasing skills.
- Burning desire to offer outstanding service to all stakeholders – customers, team members, vendors and producers.
- Passion for all things food and the willingness to explore, expand and learn. Also the willingness to share knowledge and inspire passion in others.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and documentation skills.
- Ability to work flexible days including weekends and holidays as needed.
- Proficiency with Excel and Word.
- Ability to travel and commute
- Commitment to achieving excellence.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while managing a cross-functional team environment.
- Capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Solid understanding of Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.
- Ability to enter the cooler and freezer thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Variable conditions related to commuting and travel.