The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job.
The individual in this role is responsible for assisting the Trainmaster in managing safety performance, operating practices, customer satisfaction and financial productivity of the operation to which assigned.
- Work with Trainmaster to a promote safe work environment.
- Know customer requirements of assigned operation and assist in implementing work processes to meet and exceed customer expectations.
- Assist in railcar switching function as required.
- Assist Trainmaster in the training and development of employees.
- Take leadership role in supervising crews and helping Trainmaster in maintaining payroll within the targeted budget.
- Occasionally represent the railroad at customer meetings and interface with serving railroads when needed to protect customer and the railroad’s best interests.
- Assist in conducting incident investigations and helping Trainmaster in making proper notification and documentation.
- Develop management style consistent with GWI core values (Focus, Integrity, Respect, Excellence) that encourages results-oriented performance from all employees.
- Work experience in the railroad industry
- Knowledge and understanding of safety rules and procedures
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work off hours to make contact with customer and employees working any shift
- Proficiency using common word processing software, database applications and email
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Related Experience Required: 5 years work experience in the railroad industry; knowledge and understanding of operating rules and procedures.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Riceboro, Georgia, United States