Scholastic is seeking an Associate Art Director to join the Children’s Licensing Trade Art Department, to design and manage original-licensed illustrated fiction for Middle Grade and Teen Readers, as well as licensed storybooks and novelty formats.
• Design and manage the production of approximately 12 titles per season, working closely with the Creative Director and Editors.
• Management of 1-2 direct reports is possible.
• Research new artists, hire and work with illustrators and their agents, giving effective art direction to all.
• Work with our Production and Manufacturing teams, from idea phase through the proofing process and color correction, up until the finished book.
• Attend bi-weekly production status meetings, as well as weekly staff and department meetings.
• Management and Tracking of the Catalog across all seasons, which includes working with the entire design team to deliver all Catalog art needs on time, as well as provide updates as needed throughout the year.
• Create mechanicals in accordance to the printer’s specifications and provided templates, as well as work with electronic file management and be responsible for uploading covers and archiving projects in a timely manner.
• Participation in larger group creative discussions as well as formally presenting designs to explain the concept and art direction to larger teams at Scholastic, including Sales and Marketing.
HOW YOU CAN FIT
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and Acrobat)
• Proficiency in creating die lines, spot channels, and have the ability to preflight and troubleshoot projects.
• Ability to conceptualize ideas, sketch, and create exceptional book designs.
• Keen ability to design, manage, and juggle multiple projects at once, while meeting tight deadlines, and handling licensor feedback and approvals.
• Must have an easy-going attitude, be able to roll with the punches, and have the ability to hit the ground running in this busy art department.
• Minimum 7 years design experience in a Children’s Publishing Art Department.
• Licensing Design experience of some length is strongly preferred.
• Strong portfolio featuring a variety of work and styles, which demonstrates proven ability in Children’s book layout and design.
• Previous management experience of freelance design staff.
• Management of one or two direct reports is a plus.
• Have a minimum of 5-7 years experience in the researching, hiring of, and working with illustrators and agents, as well as managing/art directing freelance designers.
• Experience working with Production and Manufacturing teams.
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.