UnitedHealthcare is part of the family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group one of the leaders across most major segments of the US health care system. When you work with UnitedHealthcare, what you do matters. It's that simple…and it's that challenging. In providing consumer-oriented health benefit plans to millions of people; our goal is to create higher quality care, lower costs and greater access to health care. Join us and you will be empowered to achieve new levels of excellence and make a profound and personal impact as you contribute to new innovations in a vital and complex system. Regardless of your role at UnitedHealthcare, the support you feel all around you will enable you to do what you do with energy, integrity, and confidence. So take the first step in what is sure to be a fast paced and highly diversified career.
We currently have an opportunity available for an Associate General Counsel in Minnetonka, Minnesota, Denver (Centennial), Colorado, or Hartford, Connecticut. Primary responsibilities will include providing legal counsel and expertise to UnitedHealthcare’s Clinical Services and Pharmacy Organizations, which are responsible for clinical matters within the UnitedHealth Group enterprise, including medical management, quality of care, health plan accreditation, provider credentialing, clinical performance measurement and prescription drug coverage. This individual will frequently interact with senior company leaders and/or outside counsel on complex issues having impact across UnitedHealth Group organization entities.
- Providing legal support for clinical quality and value creation programs
- Providing legal support for benefit interpretation processes and coordinating with product development and customer accounts organizations
- Analyzing state and federal laws applicable to managed care plans
- Coordinating with and supporting the Regulatory Affairs department in responding to regulatory inquiries; assisting with development and deployment of regulatory outreach strategies
- Negotiating and drafting vendor and other strategic agreements
- Handling complex legal projects
- Evaluating and determining appropriate legal course of action to meet business unit needs
- Guiding, training and assisting others on legal issues; coordinating legal reviews with other subject matter experts within Legal, Compliance and Regulatory Affairs departments
- Juris Doctorate degree
- 5+ years of professional legal experience
- Demonstrated, well developed, written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to evaluate and determine appropriate legal course of action to meet business unit needs
- Ability to build and maintain rapport with superiors, peers, subordinates, and external company contacts
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 6 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.SM
- Experience working with the health insurance and/or managed care industry
- Knowledge of federal, state contract, corporate health care and regulatory law
- Experience with HIPAA and other data privacy laws, as well as regulatory agencies and administrative experience with insurance regulations
- Professional clinical licensure
- Understanding of health care benefit coverage
- Proven success in collaborating across a matrixed business and legal environment
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: attorney, legal, regulatory law, Minnetonka, MN, Minnesota, Denver (Centennial), CO, Colorado, or Hartford, CT, Connecticut