The Associate Infrastructure Engineer supports the development of an Enterprise approach to system specification, engineering, operational, administrative, capacity management, maintenance and support services for the H&R Block information technology infrastructure.
The Associate Infrastructure Engineer scope of control typically includes one or more of the following:
- Networks and data communication,
- Telecommunication systems,
- Board level repair of server or desktop systems
- Storage and data management solutions,
- Information Security
- Application management and support.
This position provides technical research as needed to supplement the Infrastructure, Senior, Lead and Principal Engineer, provides support in the areas of technical support escalation, operational logistics, incident and problem resolution services resulting in deployments with optimal Mean Time to Restore (MTTR) and Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) characteristics.
- Participate in as appropriate the engineering and deployment planning of infrastructure systems for IT and business customers. Contribute to the proactive identification of automation opportunities in workflow, electronic information availability, and new systems management tools.
- Support Tier 2 escalation activity to satisfy requests for new applications or functionality or resolve system, software or hardware deficiencies in existing systems. These actions may include performing technical research, collaboration and/or documentation of a corrective plan of attack, interface with vendors for additional analysis, or executing a system recovery in the case of failure.
- Provide timely and consistent communication on overall systems status and operational issues as required by support and customer groups.
- Assure quality workmanship is performed by utilizing industry best practices and following H&R Block corporate standards and guidelines.
- Support the implementation of proactive fault detection and capacity monitoring systems. and in configuration reviews to assure these systems quickly and accurately detect and mitigate incidents/problems through proper testing and maintenance. (i.e., CPU, Disk, Memory utilizing H&R Block corporate systems and standards.)
- As situations warrant, may be a participant in matrix teams for project activities.
- Support system performance optimization by following documented system tuning practices.
- Support the execution of backup and recovery services.
- Provide efficient and effective project assistance to the internal and external H&R Block user community as assigned.
- Apply approved procedures and industry best practices on performance, confidentiality, integrity, and availability of applicable systems or solutions to deployed systems.
- Participate in the maintenance of security, contingency and system documentation of systems including diagrams, schema logical and physical layouts.
- Assist team to resolve and document process and procedure changes to improve corporate standards
- Self-management skills including organization and time management
- Practical experience with process documentation
- Vocational or Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent through a combination of education and work experience.
- Must be willing to gain HP Certification within 90 days of employment.
- Two years experience in a position requiring IT technical problem solving skills.
- Functional understanding of various infrastructure components of an IT infrastructure including but not limited to server systems, storage technology, network technology, information security.
- Ability to prioritize rapidly shifting priorities and workloads.
- Functional oral, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills.