Reporting to the VP, Corporate Controller, the AVP, Assistant Controller of Business Combinations and Technical Accounting is responsible for hands-on leadership of a team that supports global finance, accounting and business initiatives, including assisting the Corporate Controller with ensuring the quality and timeliness of U.S. GAAP, IFRS and SEC accounting guidance supporting business transactions with varied levels of complexity, financial reporting and implementing, refining and maintaining global accounting policies. The Company actively pursues organic and acquisitive growth strategies and this position is integral to the finance and accounting aspects of these activities and has visibility to the Company’s Corporate Development processes and Senior Management. The successful candidate has strong interpersonal skills, is a proven working leader and thrives in a challenging technical accounting environment while being team oriented.
- Lead a team that serves as experts on U.S. GAAP, IFRS and SEC technical accounting issues by researching new accounting guidance, independently assessing accounting and reporting implications, training and communicating with functional departments and the regions that are impacted, and managing a timely implementation plan.
- Analyze the impact on the Company’s financial statements of non-routine events and transactions such as mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Oversee the analysis of financial due diligence processes for potential acquisitions and divestitures.
- Lead the coordination of external valuations on significant acquisitions and act as a liaison between external valuation experts and the external audit team.
- Evaluate technical accounting implications of contract terms before, during and after contract negotiations.
- Develop and maintain corporate accounting policies and procedures, as applicable.
- Provide positive leadership, guidance and coaching to the Business Combinations and Technical Accounting Team.
- Oversee certain technical accounting responsibilities including derivative instruments, fair value of financial instruments and equity-based compensation.
- Provide accounting assistance, as needed, to the Corporate Accounting and Reporting Team in the preparation of U.S. GAAP financial statements and filings with the SEC.
- Assist in the coordination of the annual audit and review activities performed by the Company’s external auditors.
- Undertake special projects and support global initiatives, as needed.
- Reports to VP, Corporate Controller
- Accounting expertise
- Data analysis/interpretation
- Problem solving
- Strategic perspective
- Working with people
- Cross cultural awareness
- Managing across organizational boundaries
- Decision making
- Client service
- Independently motivated
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, plus CPA and a minimum of 10 years related experience
- Master’s degree preferred
- Proven history of demonstrating a solid understanding of financial accounting (U.S. GAAP, IFRS and SEC), excellent analytical skills, strong knowledge of controls / processes, excellent judgment and financial acumen
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to deal effectively with all levels
- Successful record of supervision / leadership and ability to work with peers
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Rochester, New York, United States