BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 16 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
Responsible for managing bakery department operations, managing bakery team members, training and coaching bakery team members, providing assistance to members, and baking, decorating, packaging, displaying, rotating and storing bakery products.
The manager is responsible to function as the Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned. While MOD, the manager has responsibility to manage the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure excellent Member engagement, to address any and all concerns brought to the MOD’s attention, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate. The manager could be assigned as MOD 50% or more of the manager’s scheduled shifts.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Provides a high level of customer service to members. Answers questions and recommends bakery items. Responds to member calls and takes special orders.
- Manages bakery department team members and holds department meetings to update team members on club policies and procedures.
- Selects, trains, and develops team members. Assigns, supervises and monitors the workload of each team member.
- Assesses team member performance, provides actionable feedback. Assists in hiring and training and administers corrective action as needed.
- Evaluates the production of bakery products. Proofs and bakes all unfinished bakery products by following product handling information using ovens and/or other equipment. Uses bakery production charts as a guide for production and display needs. Determines and gathers bakery products to be prepared for the next business day.
- Rotates and stores bakery products following proper food safety, food freshness, and product handling policies and procedures. Ensures all displays are clean and stocked. Assists with cake decorations as needed.
- Receives and inspects bakery shipments. Conducts bakery inventories as assigned by the General Manager. Orders and maintains bakery supplies as necessary.
- Ensures that all products are fresh and meet company quality standards. Maintains the proper rotation of received goods. Checks for out-of-date products daily and follows salvage and stale product policies and procedures.
- Maintains sanitation and safety standards and ensures cleaning checklists are completed. Monitors and ensures team members are properly operating cooking and cleaning equipment.
- Maintains all club policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of bakery products preferred.
- High school diploma, college degree, and/or big box wholesale, retail, bakery, grocery and/or management experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training team members, and driving and communicating results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills and an attention to detail required.
- Open shift availability required.
- At least 18 years of age.
Environmental Job Conditions
- Most of the time is spent moving about on hard surfaces. Frequently need to stand, bend, handle, pull, push, reach, climb and stoop.
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects more than 30 pounds with assistance.
- Located in a comfortable indoor environment with frequent exposure to temperature extremes from freezers, ovens and/or coolers.
- There may be frequent exposure to cleaning agents.
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.