All positions at Luckys Market are required to execute their daily job responsibilities in addition to focusing on sales and customer service. It is the expectation of each employee to maintain a positive attitude and a willingness to be a team player.
The Wine & Spirits Manager position is responsible for managing all aspects of the Wine & Spirits Department including staff, sales, margin, and labor. They may be responsible for managing and developing all aspects of the total store in the absence of the Store Director. The Wine & Spirits Manager is required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Wine & Spirits Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares the weekly sales and labor projections for the Wine & Spirits Department in order to maximize sales and profits; ensures department operations are within the labor percent allowed.
- Monitors and controls all costs and expenses; includes maintaining proper ordering and inventory control, reaching established margins, ensuring proper procedures, controlling shrink, and monitoring ad displays.
- Manages the Wine & Spirits Department staff including hiring, training, scheduling, coaching, and initiating required performance reviews; ensures staff is trained on all policies and procedures.
- Works with Liquor Director to maintain correct product assortment and inventory levels.
- Oversees shift operations including writing and/or approving Department work schedules.
- Ensures weekly flyer ads are in stock and ready for sale during business hours and that product for upcoming ads are ordered, in stock, and available for processing.
- Stocks Wine & Spirits department; includes facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Wine & Spirits Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Ensures cleanliness of wine and spirits aisles, storage area and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of liquid spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Responds positively to customers inquiries and assists customers with purchases, information and product selection; requires selling and cross selling of products.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Monitors the rotation of all Wine & Spirits Department products paying particular attention to expired stock and discarding outdated or spoiled items.
- Balances the Wine & Spirits general ledger and financial statements.
- Oversees pre-inventory preparation; includes thorough back stocking and assuring tags match products.
- Manages department inventory control ensuring no out of stocks and/or over-stocks.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years professional experience.
- Preferred 3-5 years Beer, Wine and Spirits retail experience in Beer, Wine & Spirits department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in the Import/Distributor level of the Wine & Spirits industry is a plus.
- Must be TIPS Certified.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
- Must have knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to lead, support and contribute to team goals.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must understand proper handling, preparation, seasonality, and appropriate shelf life of Beer, Wine and Spirits.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a Beer, Wine and Spirits retail environment.
- Must have advanced knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze and interpret Company financial statements and results.
- Must have excellent merchandising and sampling practices that excite customers.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must have the ability to push and pull fully loaded hand trucks and use box cutters.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with staff.
- Ability to enter the Beer cooler thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.