All positions at Lucky’s Market are required to execute their daily job responsibilities in addition to focusing on sales and customer service. It is the expectation of each employee to maintain a positive attitude and a willingness to be a team player.
The Wine & Spirits Assistant Manager position is responsible for assisting the Wine & Spirits Manager in all aspects of the Wine & Spirits Department including staff, sales, margin, and labor. They may be responsible for assisting in all aspects of the Wine & Spirits Department in the absence of the Wine & Spirits Manager. The Wine & Spirits Assistant Manager is required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Wine & Spirits Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Helps to monitor and control all costs and expenses; includes assisting in proper ordering and inventory control, reaching established margins, ensuring proper procedures and controlling shrink.
- Assists the Wine & Spirits Manager in all aspects necessary to insure a successful Wine & Spirits department.
- Assists in managing the Wine & Spirits Department staff including training, scheduling, coaching, achieving Sales Goals and ensuring the staff is trained on all policies and procedures.
- Helps the Wine & Spirits Manager oversee shift operations including writing Department work schedules when necessary.
- Stocks Wine & Spirits department; includes facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Wine & Spirits Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Ensures cleanliness of wine and spirits aisles, storage area and work area for safety; includes cleaning of
shelves and products, keeping floors free of liquid spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Responds positively to customer’s inquiries and assists customers with purchases, information and product selection; requires selling and cross selling of products.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Monitors the rotation of all Wine & Spirits Department products paying particular attention to expired stock and discarding outdated or spoiled items.
- Assists with pre-inventory preparation; includes thorough back stocking and assuring tags accuracy.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Monitor department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Assist with In Store Product Tastings for the Public.
- Will be responsible for Opening or Closing the Department as a key carrier.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years professional experience.
- Preferred 2-3 years Beer, Wine and Spirits retail experience in Beer, Wine & Spirits department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in the Import/Distributor level of the Wine & Spirits industry is a plus.
- Must be TIPS Certified.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume of retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
- Must have knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to lead, support and contribute to team goals.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must understand proper handling, preparation, seasonality, and appropriate shelf life of Beer, Wine and Spirits.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a Beer, Wine and Spirits retail environment.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must have the ability to push and pull fully loaded hand trucks and use box cutters.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with staff.
- Ability to enter the Beer cooler thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.