This role is equally challenging and rewarding. You'll be on the phone for long periods of time and encounter all types of communication styles and personalities as you help resolve conflicts or issues. You'll deal with stressful situations and resolve complex health care concerns in a positive, simplified manner so that callers fully understand their health care plans and solutions.
Positions in this function are responsible for providing expertise and customer service support to members, customers, and / or providers. Direct phone-based customer interaction to answer and resolve a wide variety of inquiries. Employees in jobs labeled with SCA must support a government Service Contract Act (SCA) agreement.
- Serve as a resource or Subject Matter Expert for team members or internal customers
- Handle escalated calls, resolving more complex customer issues
- Demonstrate outstanding service to identify the source of the caller's issue and work to resolve the inquires in a timely and professional manner
- Help guide and educate customers about the fundamentals and benefits of consumer-driven health care topics such as selecting the best benefit plan options, maximizing the value of their health plan benefits and choosing a quality care provider
- Contact care providers (doctor's offices) on behalf of the customer to assist with appointment scheduling or connections with internal specialists for assistance
- Assist customers in navigating myuhc.com and other UnitedHealth Group websites while encouraging and reassuring them to becoming self-sufficient with our tools
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Bilingual in English & Spanish
- 1+ years of customer service experience OR experience in a medical office, health care, call-center or office setting analyzing and solving customer problems
- Familiarity with computer and Windows PC applications, which includes the ability to navigate and learn new and complex computer system applications
- Experience translating health care-related jargon and complex processes into simple, step-by-step instructions customers can understand and act upon
- Prior health care experience
- Experience with billing / finance and eligibility processes, practices and concepts
- Ability to listen skillfully, collect relevant information, build rapport and respond to customers in a compassionate manner
- Experience in a position requiring conflict management skills including the ability to resolve stressful situations
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.