The Café Category Manager assists the Culinary Director and team in supporting our Culinary Operations Teams. This position is responsible for the procurement of food service products, innovation and development of quality menu items and improvement of current items that contribute to increasing guest traffic, sales, efficiency, market share and menu profitability. This position will work with a cross-functional team – Operations, Purchasing, Marketing, Training, and Accounting.
This position will support the purchasing, merchandising and promotional activities for Lucky’s Market. Develop and maintain direct relationships with vendor and distributors to procure new and local products as well as garner supplier support for promotions. Additionally, must have keen understanding of clearance distribution and how to use in multi-state scenario.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for new Item and promotional reviews and creating planograms.
- Responsible for category reviews and SKU rationalization.
- Source new unique Cafe’ products and value-added recipes that will excite our customers, build sales and margin.
- Set pricing in order to ensure ongoing growth in sales and margins.
- Evaluate sales trends in categories and recommend changes in merchandising and price structure as necessary for continued growth.
- Develop and communicate clear ordering guidelines for the category.
- Maintain cost and margin accuracy on all products for data analysis. Maintain vigilant eye for margin irregularities and rounding discrepancies.
- Review pricing and margin data with Director to assist in reaching targeted goals.
- Prepare and maintain competitive pricing analysis on key items.
- Review prices changes, new product entries, discontinued products and clearance items.
- Negotiate, monitor and maintain promotional activity for start and end dates, including sale items, EDLP’s, & TPR’s. Ensure products reflect discounts.
- Review performance of promotions by creating reports to present performance.
- Manage contracts for promotions and scan backs.
- Work collaboratively with Beer, Wine, and Spirits and Cafe’ Director on all promotional activity; discontinued items, new item entries, promotional start and end dates, retail and sale price integrity of every day & promotional signage.
- Review all opening orders for all new stores and/or monthly promotional preorders.
- Travel to new stores or existing stores to provide merchandising support, training or any support as required.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED, some college preferred.
- Minimum experience of two years in Culinary and Cafe’ retail, preferably in the natural/organic foods.
- Requires a minimum of 2 year experience overseeing Cafe’ procurement for a multi-unit region in retail grocery.
- Solid Product knowledge and experience in the Natural Foods and Cafe’
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Must be familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within Beer, Wine, and Spirits and Cafe’ industry.
- Strong product knowledge and experience in Beer, Wine, and Spirits and Cafe’ including COOL, Sustainable Harvesting Practices, Responsibly Caught Practices.
- Proficient using MS Office, Excel, database and word processing programs.
- Ability to process and analyze information quickly and make decisions using strong judgment.
- Knowledge of natural foods, manufacturers and brokers.
- Strong negotiation skills, ability to multi- task and keep focused on task.
- Exemplary analytical skills with regard to all categories of pricing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in fast paced environment.
- Ability to work under strict deadlines and assist in communicating and enforcing them with our vendors / brokers and Department Directors / Managers.
- Accuracy with data input and numbers.
- Confidentiality, integrity and excellent communication.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Travel up to 50%, which would include new store openings, existing store support and trade shows.
- Sitting will comprise the majority of your job. During travel periods standing for extended periods of time and light lifting will be required.
- Physical and mental dexterity to perform all aspects of the job.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration.