SUMMARY. Primary responsibility is to Take Excellent Care Of Our Customers by satisfying each customer’s needs and exceeding their expectations. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
APPRENTICE PROGRAM The apprentice cake decorator program will be a 240 hour training program designed to train you to become a cake decorator. Prior cake decorating experience is not required. You will be expected to complete the training program and will graduate with the skill sets needed to become a Cake Decorator with Harris Teeter.
- Desire to learn how to become a cake decorator (no prior cake decorating experience required).
- Has a passion for serving customers to make every day celebrations and special occasions (birthdays, holidays, etc.) incredible.
- Willingness to learn a new skill set that could turn in to a career with Harris Teeter
- Passionate about the
grocery business and serving customers
CUSTOMER SERVICEInitiate interaction with customers on the sales floor and sales counter. Ask the customers questions regarding theirshopping needs. Provide customers information needed to meet their taste and meal requirements. Follow through on customer requests.
- Your job performance is required to demonstrate the highest level of customer service. Never be rude to a customer under any circumstance.
- Follow through on customer requests. If you cannot say “yes” to a customer’s request, bring in department management or the manager-on-duty. Never turn down business.
- Make eye contact with and smile at every customer.
- Speak to customers in a genuine, clear, and enthusiastic manner and ask if they found everything they were looking for.
- Communicate in English with customers and fellow associates regarding requests, current sales promotions, marketing campaigns, and essential products. When a customer asks where a product is located, take the customer to the product.
- Answer telephones appropriately and provide requested information in a polite and professional manner. Respond back to people on “hold” in a timely manner. Writes orders.
- Sell Only Fresh Products. Follow Harris Teeter standards regarding product preparation, merchandising, rotation, dating, and markdown standards and guidelines. Comply with the Food Safety policy (RO-37).
- Keep Our Stores Clean. Comply with Health Department and Department of Agriculture [Weights & Measures] standards, regulations, and requirements. Follow Harris Teeter sanitation standards and procedures. Clean and sanitize prep room and coolers as appropriate. Keep counters and food contact surfaces clean at all times, refrigerator glass & windows wiped, floors swept and mopped, garbage emptied, displays well merchandised and neat.
- Be knowledgeable of and perform fixed activities when business is light. (i.e. sweeping, cleaning, blocking, straightening, emptying trash, etc.)
- Follow all safety regulations and help keep the store free of dangerous situations. Immediately inform store management of all accidents and/or safety hazards. Record accidents and safety hazards in the designated log.
- Adapt to various situations and adjust to shifting priorities. Be flexible and able to perform multiple tasks. Balance taking direction with taking initiative and demonstrate the flexibility required to accomplish the duties of the entire shift.
- Provide assistance to fellow associates to complete daily tasks such as unloading trucks, checking in deliveries, taking inventory, restocking and organizing display merchandisers and coolers, and other duties as assigned.
- Establish a working and shopping environment of trust, respect, and integrity.
- Take Excellent Care Of Your Fellow Associates. Be a team player. Support and assist your fellow associates without complaint. Be open to new ideas and opportunities. Follow through with any special requests or recommendations from management.
- Comply with Company standards, policies, and procedures. Perform essential job functions throughout scheduled hours.
QUALIFICATIONS. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Associates must be at least 18 years of age. PERSONAL SKILLS. Exceptional interpersonal skills. Willingness to participate in and successfully complete required training and to work with the team to increase customer satisfaction and sales. EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE. High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. LANGUAGE SKILLS. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos [in English]. Ability to write simple correspondence [in English]. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers or other associates of the organization who only speak English. MATHEMATICAL SKILLS. Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement. REASONING ABILITY. Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS. Complete Company’s training including but not limited to: new hire orientation, food sanitation, service excellence training, safety, food safety, and product knowledge. PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Repetition Weight Frequently - near constant work Up to 15 lbs Intermittently - up to several times an hour Up to 75 lbs Occasionally - up to several times a shift Up to 100 lbs
The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has published guidelines for safe lifting. Based on those, Harris Teeter requires our associates to obtain assistance from a second associate ("team lifting") when lifting any case or object weighing 50lbs or greater. Harris Teeter also recognizes that some associates may need to obtain assistance with weights under 50lbs, and encourages team lifts for any weight that an associate feels uncomfortable lifting by themselves. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The associate is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds, intermittently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and reach from 6-72 inches. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, plus color and depth perception. WORK ENVIRONMENT. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the associate constantly works in a moderate environment and is frequently exposed to hot, cool, and extreme cold, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.