Builds, rebuilds, repairs and inspects railway cars according to AAR, FRA and company regulations. Uses hand tools, power tools, and other measuring equipment required in the performance of duties.
- Ensure compliance with all Railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration
- Inspects car components for compliance with AAR, FRA and company standards
- Performs maintenance activity, both scheduled and on demand, including air brake tests
- Repairs, removes or replaces defective components such as wheels, safety appliances, truck and brake equipment, couplers, yokes, draft gears, airbrake valves. Weld broken parts or to secure new parts.
- Prepares numerous written reports/forms including bad order forms; car repair billing forms; dimensional loading forms; Prepares record of car repairs for monthly billing process
- Performs re-railing and repair activities; emergency and other repairs within yard limits, on the road and at industrial sites
- Repairs, removes or replaces components with the use of jacks, blocks; cutting and heating torch and other hand tools
- Inspects, measures and secures lading in open top cars
- Operates fork lifts, light cranes and car moving equipment. Works outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces and elevated heights
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- 2 years related work experience required
- Welding certifications
- Should be familiar with freight car repairs, welding and FRA and AAR rules and regulations
Required Education and/or Credentials:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds
- Four year journeyman Carman
- CDL operator’s license
- Computer literate in Microsoft Word and Excel
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Massena, New York, United States