The person in this position builds, rebuilds, repairs, and inspects railway cars according to AAR, FRA, and company regulations. He or she uses hand tools, power tools, and other measuring equipment required in the performance of duties.
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, along with any required by FRA CFR-49.
- Inspect car components for compliance with AAR, FRA, and company standards
- Perform maintenance/repair activity, both scheduled and on-demand, including air brake tests (ABT) and execute line of road repairs as necessary
- Safely repair, remove, or replace defective components such as wheels, safety appliances, trucks and brake equipment, couplers, yokes, draft gears, doors, gates, hatches and air brake valves; weld broken parts or secure new parts as required.
- Help maintain local and current inventory of material for the repair of freight cars
- Prepare written reports and forms, including bad-order forms, billing repair cards (BRC’s) for the monthly billing process and dimensional-loading forms
- Occasionally assist in re-railing and repair activities; make emergency and other repairs within yard limits, and at industrial sites
- Safely repair, remove, or replace components with the use of jacks, blocks, cutting and heating torches, and other hand tools
- Inspect, measure, and secure lading in open-top cars
- Safely operate forklifts, light cranes, and car-moving equipment
- May occasionally assist in the daily service of locomotive units (fuel, water, lubricant, and oil; wipe down and clean unit/windows; check supplies and drinking water)
- Assist with other projects and perform other duties as assigned
- Two years of related work experience required
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel preferred
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces, and at elevated heights
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- High school diploma or GED
- At least eighteen years of age
- Welding certification
- Valid driver’s license; CDL preferred
- Four-year journeyman carman preferred
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Clyattville, Georgia, United States