BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 16 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
CATEGORY PROFIT IMPROVEMENT MANAGER
The Category Profit Improvement Manager manages & advises the Category Review team as they identify sales, cost, and profit opportunities across SKUs and vendors through rigorous analysis and research. This person will manage and lead the team of Category Review senior analysts as they conduct rigorous analysis and research, including: competitive benchmarking (space, brands, SKUs), market insights, customer insights (eg, surveys, loyalty analysis), vendor insight (cost structures) and extensive SKU/brand/vendor-level analysis (relative productivity, profitability, brand loyalty, SKU transferability, etc.).
- Work with the Category Review team to develop "Ask" materials to be shared with vendors during negotiations.
- Provide direct vendor negotiations support to Merchants, including serving as lead negotiator where warranted.
- Value deals during negotiations to support decision-making.
- Track deals over time to ensure vendors and BJ’s are meeting their deal obligations.
- Protect against claw-back, ensuring that vendors do not find ways to pull back the value over time.
- Manage processes to ensure that BJ’s is not receiving cost increases that are unjustified (eg, relative to commodity price movements), and that BJ’s receives cost decreases commensurate with commodity price drops.
- Manage 3-4 analysts
- Understanding of retail merchandising basics (ie, category management), and merchandising organizational structures and processes
- Experience in managing, developing, and leading others
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong negotiations skills, including the ability to employ a wide range of roles and negotiation tactics to achieve the end goals
- Ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all levels of Merchandise leadership
- Ability to work independently and adapt to changing work priorities
- An open and honest communication style that quickly builds trust and respect
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience; Finance and/or other quantitative analytical degree a strong plus; MBA preferred
- 4+ years of relevant vendor management or procurement experience; specifically experience in conducting negotiations
- Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.