To safely drive full-sized tractor trailer truck (up to 57') van and refrigerated trailers; transport groceries and related material to and from specified destinations, such as Harris Teeter Distribution Centers, Harris Teeter stores, and local vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Verify load and inspects both tractor and trailer prior to departure from distribution center in accordance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, completing a Driver Vehicle Inspection Report indicating truck condition.
- Drive truck to destination, applying knowledge of commercial driving regulations and roads in area.
- Verify load against load sheet and trip sheet documents at specified destination: check pallet count and obtain receipt signature from store.
- Maintain telephone contact with supervisor to receive delivery instructions and inform supervisor of any mechanical problems or any delays at the stores or on the road for any reason.
- Perform emergency roadside repairs, such as installing light bulbs and fuses.
- Inform supervisor on duty of any returned merchandise from stores.
- Refuel all tractors and Thermo-King units when directed to do so.
- Maintain driver log and abide by all D.O.T. regulations.
- Load or unload truck or work in warehouse as needed.
- Follow company's attendance policy by coming to work on time and when scheduled.
- Follow company's safety policies and procedures.
- Other duties as may be assigned or required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Problem Solving - Develops alternative solutions; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
· Technical Skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
· Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
· Interpersonal - Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
· Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; responds well to questions.
· Team Work - Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
· Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
· Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
· Cost Consciousness - Contributes to profits and revenue.
· Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures.
· Adaptability - Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
· Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
· Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions.
· Initiative - Asks for and offers help when needed.
· Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving work.
· Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
· Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence.
· Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
· Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality. Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner.
· Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), CDL license and a minimum of five years related driving experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other associates of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Cadec On-Board Computer, VLM Time Clock, Fuel Dispenser Controller.
CDL license required
Ability to successfully complete company issued industrial equipment certification
Understanding of D.O.T. regulations
Meet minimum company standards on D.O.T. physical exam
Successfully pass company road test
Must be at least 18 years of age
Must be able to work flexible shifts throughout the week
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and vibration. The associate is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to sit. The associate is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The associate is occasionally required to taste or smell.