As part of Optum Health, Surgical Care Affiliates (SCA), a leader in the outpatient surgery industry, strategically partners with health plans, medical groups and health systems across the country to develop and optimize surgical facilities. SCA operates more than 200 surgical facilities, including ambulatory surgery centers and surgical hospitals, in partnership with approximately 3,000 physicians. For more information on SCA, visit www.scasurgery.com and/or www.optum.com .
Position Reports To:
Chief Financial and Administrative Officer for SCA
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) will be a critical member of the executive leadership team in supporting SCA’s continued growth and strategic initiatives. The CIO will foster the IT mission which is to partner with and serve our patients, physicians, teammates and SCA through the delivery of innovative and reliable technology solutions supported by amazing customer service.
The CIO will continue development and execution of an enterprise-wide, long-term information technology strategy that allows the company to better scale and integrate its operations going forward. S/he will collaborate with other members of senior management in the planning and execution of technology initiatives that align closely with corporate strategy. S/he will continue to create a technology platform with reduced system duplication and complexity, identifying the ERP, supply chain, human resources, and corporate systems best suited to SCA’s needs, and understanding how to leverage cloud computing, software-as-a-service, and other resource models that provide flexibility and cost efficiency. In addition, SCA is a highly acquisitive company, and the CIO will design a consistent business process to integrate companies in the most effective manner.
Furthermore, a significant role for the CIO will be to anticipate industry change and identify opportunities for customer-facing technology innovation in order to maintain SCA’s leadership position. S/he will work closely with the senior leaders to develop business intelligence and data analytic tools that can deliver services tailored to customer needs. S/he will investigate how best to incorporate leading technologies such as ‘big data’ analytics, social media, and mobility tools, in order to increase SCA’s growth and market penetration.
Overall, the CIO will lead a distributed team of approximately 60 employees, split between the Northern suburbs of Chicago and Birmingham, AL, Oklahoma City, OK managing an annual IT budget of approximately $20 million.
Work Location and Travel Expectations:
The SCA CIO will have a primary office in either Deerfield, IL, a northern suburb of Chicago, or Birmingham, AL, or Oklahoma City, OK to align with the work locations of significant numbers of SCA IT professionals. Travel across the national footprint of SCA is anticipated, typically accounting for as many as 1/3 of the workdays in a year.
- Carry-on and refresh an IT strategy and roadmap for the business
- Continue definition and establishment of an industry leading IT-platform solution for Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Lead, mentor, and develop a team of IT professionals
- Position the technology organization to continuously improve scalability, speed, and availability
- Lead and coordinate the evaluation, continued deployment, and management of key software platforms across the organization.
- Provide technical assessments and partner requirements, and represent the company at the highest customer and partner levels with respect to software engineering, technology and integration
- Manage and direct all technology investments ensuring capital expenditures are timely, cost effective, and result in optimal designs that meet the short- and long-term capacity and capability needs of the business
- Ensure that the necessary people, processes and systems are in place to accommodate growth, measure results and minimize risk
- Develop and maintain appropriate IT organizational structure that supports the needs of the business and actively drive the improvement and/or re-engineering of the IT organization
- Keep current with emerging trends and issues in the IT industry. Advise, counsel, and educate executives and management on their competitive or financial impact
- Supervise recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all staff in accordance with corporate budgetary objectives and personnel policies
- Partner with OptumCare CIO and other IT leaders within Optum to understand synergistic and collaboration opportunities, leverage vendor agreements and pricing, and share leading practices
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates a strong customer service philosophy
- Demonstrates strong leadership, strategic vision, team-building and business partnership skills
- Has led transformations in dynamic, highly acquisitive, fast-paced organizations where the mission has been to standardize and simplify technology platforms riddled with systems redundancy, complexity, and over-customization
- Demonstrates credibility with staff at all levels and exhibits a strong executive presence
- Uses technology to translate client/institutional needs into workable business solutions
Education, training and experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of leadership, with experience building/developing teams and managing diverse teams across applications development, infrastructure, and other technology disciplines
- Strong understanding of information technology and the relationships between business and information value
- Track record of developing and implementing a comprehensive strategic plan to integrate and simplify a complex systems environment
- Strong communication skills, especially in the areas of presentation and interaction with people across the organization
- Track record in the successful management of programs and people, as well as demonstrated complex program/project management skills
- Ability to translate and present complex systems and process in lay person’s-terms
- Experience in the healthcare services industry is desired
- A bachelor’s degree in technology (computer science/engineering), business administration or a related field or equivalent experiences (an advanced degree is desirable)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.