Health care isn't just changing. It's growing more complex every day. ICD10 replaces ICD9. Affordable Care adds new challenges and financial constraints. Where does it all lead? Hospitals and health care organizations continue to adapt, and we are a vital part of their evolution. And that's what fueled these exciting new opportunities. Optum360 is a dynamic new partnership formed by Dignity Health and Optum to combine our unique expertise. As part of the growing family of UnitedHealth Group, we'll leverage all our resources to bring financial clarity and a full suite of revenue management services to health care providers nationwide. If you're looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The Clinical Document Improvement Specialist - (CDS) is responsible for providing CDI program oversight and day to day CDI implementation of processes related to the concurrent review of the clinical documentation in the inpatient medical record of Optum 360 clients’ patients. The goal of the CDS oversight and practice is to assess the technical accuracy, specificity, and completeness of provider clinical documentation, and to ensure that the documentation explicitly identifies all clinical findings and conditions present at the time of service.
This role will work four 10 hour days – Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. This role would be covering the Dignity Health hospitals – Siena in Henderson, NV and San Martin Campus in Las Vegas, NV. Could be located at either location.
This position collaborates with providers and other healthcare team members to make improvements that result in accurate, comprehensive documentation that reflects completely, the clinical treatment, decisions, and diagnoses for the patient. The CDS utilizes clinical expertise and clinical documentation improvement practices as well as facility specific tools for best practice and compliance with the mission/philosophy, standards, goals and core values of Optum 360. This position does not have patient care duties, does not have direct patient interactions, and has no role relative to patient care.
- Provides expert level review of inpatient clinical records within 24-48 hours of admit; identifies gaps in clinical documentation that need clarification for accurate code assignment to ensure the documentation accurately reflects the severity of the patient condition and acuity of care provided
- Conducts daily follow-up communication with providers regarding existing clarifications to obtain needed documentation specificity
- Provides expert level leadership for overall improvement in clinical documentation by providing proficient level review and assessment, and effectively articulating recommendations for improvement, and the rational for the recommendations
- Actively communicates with providers at all levels, to clarify information and to communicate documentation requirements for appropriate diagnoses based on severity of illness and risk of mortality
- Performs regular rounding with unit-based physicians
- Provides face-to-face educational opportunities with physicians on a daily basis
- Provides complete follow through on all requests for clarification or recommendations for improvement
- Leads the development and execution of physician education strategies resulting in improved clinical documentation
- Provides timely feedback to providers regarding clinical documentation opportunities for improvement and successes
- Ensures effective utilization of the Midas Clinical Documentation Improvement Focus Study, documenting all verbal, written, electronic clarification activity
- Utilizes only the Optum360 approved forms, whether paper or electronic
- Proactively develops a reciprocal relationship with the HIM Coding Professionals
- Coordinate and conducts regular meeting with HIM Coding Professionals to monitor retrospective query rate and address issues
- Engages and consults with Physician Advisor when needed, per the escalation process, to resolve provider issues regarding answering clarifications and participation in the clinical documentation improvement process
- Actively engages with Care Coordination and the Quality Management teams to continually evaluate and spearhead clinical documentation improvement opportunities
- 5+ years of experience as an acute care hospital clinical RN OR a Medical Graduate
- 1+ year of acute care Clinical Documentation Improvement experience - conducting reviews, sending queries and educating physicians
- Strong understanding of Microsoft, Word, Excel, and work related software
- BSN degree
- CCDS, CDIP or CCS certification
- Experience in case management and / or critical care
- Experience working with Optum360 CAC or Cerner
- Ability to multi-task
- Must be comfortable communicating & working closely with Physicians
- Excellent verbal and written skills including strong organizational skills
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: RN, Nurse, Registered Nurse, clinical, CCDS, CDIP, CCS, CDI, Clinical Document Information, CDS, Clinical Document Improvement Specialist, Weekend, Las Vegas, NV, Nevada, Optum, Dignity Health, Siena in Henderson, NV, San Martin Campus in Las Vegas, NV