Department:OH1HS_65001_000 Coding & Data Services
Expected Weekly Hours:40
Position Purpose:At Mount Carmel, we’re committed to making a meaningful difference in the lives of our patients and communities. Our colleagues – people like you – share our passion for always going above and beyond to provide the highest standards of care.
Job Description Details:
Our Coding Specialist III analyzes physician/provider documentation contained in assigned electronic health records (all patient types) to determine the principal and all secondary diagnoses. Utilizes encoder software applications (including on line references) in the assignment of ICD 10 CM codes for MS-DRG grouping, and CPT-4/HCPCS procedure code assignment for appropriate APC grouping. Utilizes coding guidelines established by the Centers of Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS), American Hospital Association (AHA), and Unified Revenue Organization/Ministry Organization (URO/MO). May work in offsite centralized office building or home-based status.
- Retrospectively and/or concurrently codes inpatient records utilizing encoder software (including on line references) for ICD 10 CM code assignment and MS-DRG grouping, according to AHA Coding Clinic, AHIMA's Standards of Ethical Coding, as well as URO/MO established coding guidelines. Obtains clarification in clinical documentation by querying providers.
- Validates appropriate MS DRG assignment. Validates charges, when necessary, by comparing charges with health record documentation.
- Abstracts additional health record information for use in data collection, retrieval of health care statistics, maintenance of required disease and operative indexes, quality assurance monitoring activities, and data base maintenance for use by hospital administration, committees, medical staff and accrediting, licensing, and regulatory agencies.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of changes in coding guidelines and regulations. Maintains working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, the Organizational Integrity program, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects hones, ethical, and professional behavior.
Requirements/Qualifications (Full Time 40 Hours Per Week)
- High School diploma or equivalent required. An associate's degree in Health Information Management Technology or a related field is preferred.
- Licensure / Certification: Certification required (CCS, RHIT or RHIA recognized through American Health Information Management Association).
- Experience: One year of hospital based inpatient coding experience is required. Two to four years of hospital based inpatient coding.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, disease processes, and diagnostic and procedural coding, as normally obtained through a coding certificate program, or degree in Health Information Technology or Health Information Management.
- Ability to use a standard desktop and windows based computer system, including a basic understanding of e-mail, internet, and computer navigation. Ability to use other software as required to perform the essential functions on the job.
Discovering opportunities, support and excellence – all while making a real difference in patients’ lives – begins at Mount Carmel. Find a new beginning and advance your career with us.
Mount Carmel and all its affiliates are proud to be equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, or physical ability.
Trinity Health's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health employs more than 120,000 colleagues at dozens of hospitals and hundreds of health centers in 21 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Trinity Health's dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.