Health care isn't just changing. It's growing more complex every day. ICD10 replaces ICD9. Affordable Care adds new challenges and financial constraints. Where does it all lead? Hospitals and health care organizations continue to adapt, and we are a vital part of their evolution. And that's what fueled these exciting new opportunities. Optum360 is a dynamic new partnership formed by Dignity Health and Optum to combine our unique expertise. As part of the growing family of UnitedHealth Group, we'll leverage all our resources to bring financial clarity and a full suite of revenue management services to health care providers nationwide. If you're looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The Computational Linguist is a key technical contributor in the design and development of state-of-the-art NLP for medical applications. The Computational Linguist works closely with other NLP engineers, software engineers and subject matter experts on current company technologies and forward looking projects.
Primary responsibilities include the enhancement of existing company NLP technologies and extension of those systems to new applications. Primary responsibilities also include direct support of team members in the maintenance of company NLP systems for production environments and resolution of internal and external customer issues. Work will involve all aspects of software design and development from system requirements definition to implementation, integration and testing.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence with an emphasis on text, Information Retrieval, Information Extraction, and/or associated principles of knowledge representation and ontological design. The successful candidate will be comfortable contributing to research and design, but also demonstrate a willingness to support team members in the ongoing maintenance of existing systems. Strong technical skills are required, as the successful candidate must be able to deliver solutions for use in a production environment.
- Degree in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science, or other Computational discipline
- 2+ years of related professional work experience - significant academic NLP development experience will be considered for strong applicants with advanced degree
- Strength and experience with at least two of the following: C++, Java, C#, Python, SQL and Regular Expressions
- Knowledge of algorithms and techniques within a computational domain with emphasis on text processing
- Knowledge and experience with natural language processing or formal linguistics: morphology, syntax and semantics
- Experience with ontologies
- Experience with in the medical domain
- Experience with Lex/Yacc, ANTLR or other parser generator frameworks
- Experience with Drools
- Experience with XML and XSLT
- A demonstrated ability to function within a team and to handle a variety of tasks, whether independent or working from specifications
- Logical thinker and quick learner with strong problem solving and analytical ability
- Customer service oriented with a strong commitment to produce high quality, workable solutions for both internal external customers
- Effective team member who will support and contribute to a common goal as well as encourage group cooperation and participation to meet team objectives
- Strong oral and written communication skills; capable of contributing at every level to effective project documentation
- Experience in at least two NLP sub-domains: development and analysis of large text corpora, information extraction, named entity recognition, text preprocessing, ontological reasoning, and semantic or grammatical disambiguation
Optum360 is a dynamic new partnership formed by Dignity Health and Optum to combine our unique expertise. As part of the growing family of UnitedHealth Group, we'll leverage all our resources to bring financial clarity and a full suite of revenue management services to health care providers nationwide.
If you're looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Natural Language Processing, NLP, morphology, syntax, semantics, San Diego, CA