At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
The Legal Department supports the vision and values of Wells Fargo by providing expert, creative, cost-effective, and timely advice and services to all Wells Fargo businesses and support functions. We operate in accordance with the highest standards of judgment, integrity, and ethical leadership to find creative solutions that best serve our customers, prudently manage risks, and contribute to Wells Fargo’s enterprise success.
The Legal Department is seeking an experienced attorney to join the Community Bank, Deposits, and Payments Section of its Consumer Banking Division. The candidate selected will provide legal support and guidance associated with the Bank’s branch network, consumer and small business deposit accounts, payments, product development and marketing, and general banking operations, processing, training, and sales practices.
Primary responsibilities will involve a combination of the following: handling inquiries from branches and branch support operational groups regarding account documentation requirements and issues related to powers of attorney, decedent accounts, estates, trusts, guardianships, conservatorships, custodians, financial elder abuse and bank account fraud; providing legal advice to line of business and compliance partners on consumer deposits and payments strategy and product development, regulatory compliance, analyzing proposed regulations, drafting comment letters, drafting consumer disclosures, and regulatory exam/supervision support. The candidate may also support departments responding to customer’s complaints about activity on their bank accounts. The candidate will also be responsible for reviewing and updating related policies and procedures, as well as other tasks as needed, including research of statutes and regulations affecting consumer and small business deposit accounts.
The team member will also be responsible for evaluating the impact of all major changes in the law and assessing the impact on the Company’s policies and operating procedures and providing support in the implementation of changes to policies and procedures.Required Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Active State Bar membership
- Ability to analyze legal issues in substantive law in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of research, counsel, and guidance on complex legal questions or inquiries
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Effective organizational, multi tasking, and prioritizing skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and deadlines
- Experience advising and providing guidance in community banking environment
- Experience in developing practical solutions to mitigate legal risk
- Experience in analyzing risk & benefit tradeoffs from a long range business perspective
- Experience in developing strategies to avoid or minimize losses arising from bank account fraud, including financial elder abuse
- Ability to influence in an evolving environment with a high degree of collaboration
- Experience building partnerships and successfully functioning with project teams
- Substantial legal experience in one or more of the following practice areas: regulatory, compliance, consumer protection; employment litigation, employment-related legal advice and counsel; retail banking operations
- Experience providing legal support to wealth management or private banking lines of business, as related to sales and marketing of consumer deposit products.
- Knowledge of the following laws, regulations, and rules is desired: UCC articles 3, 4, and 4A; Federal banking regulations D, E, J, CC, DD; FDIC regulations; NACHA Operating Rules, especially as they relate to consumer accounts; ESIGN Act; SCRA; safe deposit box laws; unclaimed property laws; FCRA; UDA(A)P; OCC guidance on RNDIP.
NC-Charlotte: 301 S College St - Charlotte, NC
MN-Minneapolis: 90 S 7th St - Minneapolis, MN
IA-Des Moines: 800 Walnut St - Des Moines, IA
MO-Saint Louis: 1 N Jefferson Ave - Saint Louis, MO
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.