The Craftsman Lead is a full-time, year-round position located in the Old Faithful area of Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. This position provides technical skills to effectively perform maintenance and repair activities and assists the Maintenance Management team in training, scheduling, and leading Craftsmen in maintenance and repair activities.
A modern, one-bedroom, company apartment is provided. During the winter season, the only access to and from the Old Faithful location is by snow coach or snowmobile. To learn more about living, working, and exploring Yellowstone, check out our website.
Responsibilities of the Craftsman Lead
- Responsible for the on-the-job safety of assigned craftsmen (carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, boiler technicians, kitchen technicians, mechanical technicians) as well as for mitigation of risk for other employees and park visitors who may be affected by maintenance or repair activities.
- Assists the Maintenance Manager, Assistant Maintenance Manager and General Maintenance Lead in recruiting, hiring, training, and retention of both year-round and seasonal employees.
- Provides management and technical skills necessary for effectively performing maintenance & repair activities to Xanterra assigned assets (facilities, structures, grounds, systems, and any components thereof), as described in the Maintenance Plan.
- Responsible for planning, scheduling, and leading location Craftsmen in repair and maintenance activities; ensuring that all work is accomplished in a timely and professional manner.
- Responsible for craftsmen’s on-schedule accomplishment of building system-related opening and closing procedures in Old Faithful’s summer seasonal facilities including the iconic Old Faithful Inn and Old Faithful Lodge as well as in the winter seasonal facilities including the Old Faithful Snow Lodge.
- Accountable for the accurate documentation (in the Computerized Maintenance Management System) of labor hours expended and materials consumed by assigned craftsmen.
- Cooperates and collaborates with the General Maintenance Lead, Assistant Maintenance Manager and Maintenance Manager to allocate labor according to established Maintenance - Operations maintenance and repair priorities.
- Assists with the continuous development, enhancement and implementation of predictive and preventive maintenance procedures as well as for seasonal opening and closing procedures.
- Assists in maintaining an organized, properly stocked inventory of repair parts and maintenance supplies.
- Assists in the review of plans and specifications for construction and remodeling projects in the Old Faithful area with an emphasis on ensuring systems and facilities are designed with due consideration for ease of maintenance and operation.
- The Craftsman Lead will typically be on-call several evenings and/or weekends each month to receive the first report of critical “can’t wait until morning” facilities issues and to dispatch the appropriate personnel to resolve these issues.
- Responsible for adhering to Xanterra’s Ecologix (sustainability) program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Vacation, Holiday and Sick Leave
- Health, life and other insurance benefits
- Low cost housing
- Free Employee Recreation Program (hiking, photography, camping, wildlife watching, and more!)
- Discounts in and around Yellowstone
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Must have knowledge of, and experience in facility maintenance, operation or construction.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are critical to this position.
- Must demonstrate the management and trade skills required to effectively and efficiently oversee the uniquely challenging maintenance operation at Old Faithful. Large historic, complex and fully occupied facilities in the summer season combined with a winter season operation in an isolated location present management challenges not typically encountered in building maintenance / operation organizations.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and the ability to regroup and “manage on the fly” as unplanned requirements and situations present themselves.
- Must be a self-starter, able to troubleshoot problems, ask the right questions and have the confidence to make hard decisions based on the best information available.
- Must possess knowledge of OSHA General Industry (1910) and Construction (1926) standards.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Must possess a strong working knowledge in the use of common Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) as well as the confidence, willingness and ability to become proficient in the CMMS, timekeeping and other mission-critical computer-based systems.
- Must be at least 21 years old and possess a current, valid, driver’s license with a safe driving record for the past 3 years.
- This position may require the use of respiratory protection and the associated compliance with applicable regulations including a clean-shaven face and medical screening.
- Must be able to walk long distances over uneven terrain and climb stairs and ladders in all types of weather conditions.
- Must possess physical stamina to withstand heavy, labor-related work in an outside environment, including standing, bending, kneeling, crawling for extended periods of time when required.
- Must be capable of lifting objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit, stand, bend, kneel, and crawl for extended periods of time as required.
- Must be willing and able to reside, year-round in an remote hospitality location with limited wintertime accessibility.
- Supervises location maintenance personnel.
- Empowered to direct the suspension of unsafe safe work practices by Xanterra employees and/or vendors and contractors.
- Promote Xanterra Company sustainability initiatives by preventing any negative impacts to the environment and incorporating best management practices.
Live. Work. Explore. Yellowstone National Park Is Naturally Different
At Yellowstone National Park Lodges, we are a welcoming community who work hard, share a passion for the environment, and enjoy creating memorable experiences for our guests. We are the primary concessionaire in Yellowstone National Park. As part of the Xanterra Travel Collection family, we embrace a “naturally different” lifestyle that allows you to live, work, and explore one of the most beautiful places on earth. We are a company based on values that reflect an environmental ethic and social conscience – for the long-term. “Our Softer Footprint” focuses on how we reduce our environmental impact through our comprehensive environmental initiatives. Our business practices exemplify environmental stewardship, and a desire to protect and preserve our public lands.