At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Consumer Lending is an industry leader in supporting homeowners and consumers. Our group includes Home Lending, Personal Lending, and Wells Fargo Auto, and the professional services teams that partner with these businesses. Our foundation for success can be summarized in three beliefs: Our product is service. Our value added is financial advice and guidance. Our competitive advantage is our people. We’ve built our team of top professionals by rewarding their accomplishments and ensuring they have what's needed to succeed.
We currently have an exciting Credit Portfolio Manager opportunity in our Collection Credit Strategy & Analytics area for a highly experienced Credit Risk manager to lead Collection Risk Strategy/Segmentation development. This highly visible role will lead a team that will manage and transform our collection programs and activities with a balanced risk appetite while meeting debt collecting effectiveness, monitoring system/data risks of each program/activities and focusing on the customer experience.
This position requires broad experience and deep subject matter expertise in managing the unique credit and collection risks associated with todays and future regulatory demands. The successful candidate will possess a deep understanding of various collection models and strategies for the Prime Card, Non-Prime Card, and Personal Lines & Loans products. Keys to success in this role are the ability to develop innovative analytical approaches, work closely with collections and recovery operation partners, attention to detail, and be able to complete projects with minimal supervision. The position will be involved in all stages of a given analytic project from conception and implementation through tracking and monitoring.
Your expertise in creating and managing these complicated real world problems will translate into opportunities for sustainable and disciplined Collection and Recovery efforts. Your leadership will ensure our drive for a positive customer experience with appropriate credit risk exposure and consistent debt collection performance and controls.
Specifically this individual will have responsibility for but not limited to:
- Develop robust and consistent reporting and monitoring capability to track Collections and Recovery performance across 4 LOBs (Cards, Retail, Personal Line & Loan, Education Financial Service) through the Portfolio Quality Review process
- Provide analytics to help improve Collections efficiency and effectiveness and make recommendations to senior management
- Ensure MIS is capturing the optimal set of key metrics; sufficiently monitoring and analyzing them to understand the impacts on both resources and business results
- Work with the Collections and Recovery Strategy teams, Operations teams and other Risk teams to ensure that strategies are executed as designed and met expectations
- Lead cross-functional teams to strategize, plan, and execute a variety of programs, policies and initiatives that are significant in scope, complexity, and risk
- Drive Collection and Recovery risk management contact strategies including calling intensity optimization and channel feasibility
- Offer business and technical expertise in Collection risk strategy management
- Prepare materials and presenting them in senior-level forums; providing information to senior management on complex issues
- Work closely with Collection Operations for policy implementation, evaluation, and loss planning
- Interact with leaders of Collection Operations, Product, and Finance to analyze and report on results by product and programs
The successful candidate will work closely with the business lines and risk leadership across the enterprise in a strategic risk management function. Accordingly, critical success factors will include the ability to lead effectively in a matrixed organization, develop partnerships with many business & functional areas, provide meaningful insight into the Collection & Recovery operation climate & related regulation developments, and identify trends, which may present opportunities or reflect gaps in the current approach to loss mitigation strategy.
This role will be based preferably in San Francisco or Concord and will lead a team of 5 - 8 team members.
As a Team Member Manager, you are expected to achieve success by leading yourself, your team, and the business. Specifically you will:
- Lead your team with integrity and create an environment where your team members feel included, valued, and supported to do work that energizes them.
- Accomplish management responsibilities which include sourcing and hiring talented team members, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing team members, identifying and managing risks, and completing daily management tasks.
Preferred Location(s): San Francisco or Concord, Bay Area, but will consider other locations in the Wells Fargo footprint.Required Qualifications
- 8+ years of risk experience
- 3+ years of management experience
- A seasoned manager with at least 7 years of Collection analytics/risk management experience at a financial institution, preferably in unsecured credit
- 3+ years people management experience
- Prior expertise in developing and implementing Collection segmentation strategies, treatment programs that leverages data, system, procedures and workflow controls to produce business results with documented customer/collector activity logs.
- Substantial experience leading various Collection Segmentation Strategy and/or Risk Management functions, and a thorough knowledge of highly disciplined businesses, financial and risk management processes, specific to Collection Operations and Programs.
- Proven experience in building partnerships, collaborating and interacting at senior management and corporate levels
- Demonstrated sound credit judgment applied to portfolio / program level decisions
- A deep understanding of credit from a full credit cycle perspective
- Demonstrated excellence at identifying stakeholders, understanding needs, and driving to resolution
- Advanced degree in quantitative discipline, such as Economics, Accounting, Finance, Engineering or Business
- Solid Collection and Recovery strategy development experience
- Experience in statistical modeling, data mining, strategy implementation and reporting
- Strategic Leadership – Creating and achieving a desired future state [vision] through influence on individual and group goals, reinforcements and systems
- An impeccable reputation for integrity, accuracy, consistency, big picture orientation and business acumen
- Beyond experience, the right personal style and attitude are critical to success in this role. The role will be recognized by their reputation and will be referenced easily in the financial services community
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.