BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 16 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
Responsible for managing deli department operations, managing deli team members, training and coaching deli team members, providing assistance to members, and slicing, packaging, weighing and selling deli products including meats and cheeses.
The manager is responsible to function as the Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned. While MOD, the manager has responsibility to manage the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure excellent Member engagement, to address any and all concerns brought to the MOD’s attention, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate. The manager could be assigned as MOD 50% or more of the manager’s scheduled shifts.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Provides a high level of customer service to members. Answers questions and recommends deli items. Responds to member calls and takes special orders. Oversees and assists with the preparation and packaging of special orders and party trays.
- Manages deli department operations and team members. Holds department meetings to update team members on club policies and procedures.
- Assesses team member performance, provides actionable feedback and develops talent. Assists in hiring and training and administers corrective action as needed.
- Meets or exceeds all budgeted sales and profit goals.
- Controls shrink and salvage to an acceptable level by achieving budgeted goals.
- Receives and inspects deli shipments. Displays, stocks, rotates, and stores deli product following food safety, food freshness, and product handling policies and procedures. Ensures deli cooler shelves and display cases are stocked.
- Ensure all products are fresh and meet company quality standards. Checks for out-of-date products daily and follows appropriate product salvage policies and procedures.
- Conducts deli inventories and orders inventory/supplies as needed.
- Ensure scale systems are in working order. Makes sure items are weighed and priced accurately.
- Maintains all club policies and procedures.
- High school diploma, college degree, and/or big box wholesale, retail, deli, grocery and/or management experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training team members, and driving and communicating results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills and an attention to detail required.
- Open shift availability required.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Deli experience preferred, including knowledge of deli products.
- Experience operating manual/power slicers and scales preferred.
Environmental Job Conditions
- Most of the time is spent moving about on hard surfaces. Frequently need to stand, bend, handle, pull, reach, push, climb and stoop.
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects more than 30 pounds with assistance.
- Located in a comfortable indoor environment with frequent exposure to temperature extremes from freezers, ovens and/or coolers.
- There may be frequent exposure to cleaning agents.
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.