Optum is seeking an experienced actuarial expert and consultant who can leverage their broad industry experience to lead teams in the execution of a variety of strategic, actuarial, and consulting activities within Optum’s Payer Consulting Practice, largely focused on public programs (Medicaid). This role will establish, maintain, and own relationships with payer clients and execute against projects around various Actuarial products/services, as well as other Optum healthcare offerings relevant to their business needs. This role requires the development and ownership of relationships with payer clients and both technical and professional leadership of Actuarial Managers and staff in the delivery of best in class Actuarial and other strategic consulting services to clients. This role also requires the desire and ability to meet collaborative sales targets. Sales targets include, but are not exclusively limited to, Actuarial products and solutions, but also on a variety of Optum’s widely diversified products and services as we drive continued annual growth. The role requires an ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the healthcare organization, technical and non-technical staff, and an ability to develop strong client relationships through credible industry knowledge, and relevant expert strategic advice to the payer community.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Strategic and/or technical leadership on client teams on projects primarily around government programs, but also including commercial lines, tool building, and broader analytical initiatives
- Lead teams to deliver quality results against aggressive timelines and across multiple projects while maintaining process standards and controls
- Deliver expert consultation to clients on various dimensions of health care data while leading staff against the execution of data driven projects
- Lead the design and development of actuarial solutions (models and processes)
- Contribute to growth goals of the practice individually and as a part of the broader team
- Bachelor’s degree
- ASA or FSA Actuarial Credential
- 10+ years of healthcare actuarial experience with experience in a Medicare or Medicaid Actuarial role
- Ability to speak credibly to current industry issues, regulatory and competitive challenges, and practices regarding the government services market
- Proven problem solving skills (identification of issue, causes, solution, implementation plan)
- Ability to travel as needed (generally in the range of 10%)
- Desire to actively develop and pursue sales opportunities as part of teams
- Strong ability to influence, motivate, and correct others in a positive, constructive, and respectful way
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job keywords: director, actuarial, health care, health care, strategic, strategy, consulting, client, payer, telecommute, work from home, remote