Directs and coordinates activities of workers engaged in construction and repair of railroad structures such as bridges, culverts, tunnels, and buildings by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
- Directs department activities to design new products, modify existing designs, improve production techniques, and develop test procedures.
- Resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts.
- Analyzes technology trends, human resource needs, and market demand to plan projects.
- Investigates reports of damage or accidents to determine and correct cause, if attributable to faulty construction or maintenance.
- Forecasts operating costs of department and directs preparation of budget requests.
- Confers with management, production, and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Prepares reports of hours, equipment, and materials used to complete each construction or maintenance project.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner.
Education Required or Equivalent Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering with 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Education Preferred: Master's Degree in Civil Engineering
Related Experience Required: 2 years related experience in bridge or structural design Related Experience Preferred 2 years related experience with AREMA Bridge Design Specifications and/or AASHTO. Familiarity with AutoCAD, Micro station, or similar drafting programs and other structural analysis and design software
Registration / Certification Required: Professional Engineer (PE) Registration
Must have a valid driver’s license
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States