At UnitedHealth Group, you're making a difference in people's lives, starting with your own. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
As a Director of Communications, your primary responsibility will be writing, editing, overseeing production of, and delivering a highly visible daily news and intelligence briefing for executives, as well as related alerts and measurement reports. Secondary responsibilities include developing written and multi-media content for a variety of mediums and audiences.
You will leverage writing expertise, business acumen and interpersonal skills to support the executive team’s strategic and business decision-making through the timely provision of accurate and accessible summaries of relevant UHG, healthcare industry and business-related news and commentary.
This position requires a strategic thinker with experience working in a matrixed organization. It requires superb writing skills, project management expertise and strong attention to detail. It also will rely on the ability to develop relationships with teams and leaders throughout the company.
Write, edit and ensure delivery of highly visible daily news and intelligence briefing for UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare and Optum executives and potentially wider internal distribution. The digest will cover UHG, its lines of business, competitor and healthcare industry/market news, commentary on relevant policy issues, and corporate news on UHG’s key priorities
- Distill complicated, technical messages into consumer friendly language
- Adhere to applicable internal and external communications standards established for the business (e.g., style guides, communications industry standards, etc.)
- Manage external partners who contribute to the daily briefing
- Deeply understand the variety of internal audiences across the enterprise and their needs and motivations to ensure product resonance
- Engage with senior executives, board members, senior leaders and their offices, as well as on occasion external stakeholders with significant relationship to UHG, to develop content
- Ensure that all published material has undergone the appropriate approvals processes, including legal clearance, as outlined by UHG executives
- Use and develop channel measurement and analytics to inform and improve audience understanding and drive increased traffic to and engagement with the daily briefing
- Embody and promote UHG corporate values and ethics, and demonstrate a passion for our mission
Secondary Responsibilities: (in addition to those already mentioned)
- Develop written content for a variety of internal and external initiatives, including conferences, meetings, presentations, scripts, key messages and more
- Develop communications content, tailored to the specific medium and audience requirements
- Adapt writing style / tone to meet the needs of the specific message / audience / channel (e.g., nuance, complexity)
- Bachelor's Degree in English, communications, journalism or public relations
- 10+ years of experience in writing-focused roles
- Experience producing content for a wide variety of uses and channels
- Experience quickly identifying relevant content from large volumes of information
- Experience understanding complex issues and constructing compelling, logical and nuanced arguments
- An understanding and awareness of relevant external environments and news cycles
- Mastery of AP style and grammar
- Experience in researching a breadth of business-related topics
- Experience working in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience working with highly confidential information
- Healthcare experience
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: communications, content, writer, Telecommute, Remote, Work from home