The AVP, Region Engineering provides Regional support to the Maintenance of Way (MoW) operating units with regard to capital improvement, industrial development, and public projects. The incumbent is instrumental in managing public projects, providing conceptual engineering for new business development, developing the Region’s MoW operating and capital budgets, and proactively supports the Region’s goals, objectives and strategies. The work is primarily of a technical nature but also requires strong customer service and communication skills.
- Manage the Region’s public projects including at-grade crossing modifications, warning device upgrades, and grade separations.
- Responsible for updating and tracking engineering metrics across the region.
- Provide in-house design and engineering for new industrial development and capital projects.
- Review and approve industry-submitted track plans for compliance with Railroad standards.
- Prepare scopes of work, bid packages and specifications for capital improvement projects.
- Assist with establishment of the MoW operating and capital budgets to maximize utilization of resources and delivery of products and solutions for the Region.
- Assist in managing the MoW operating and capital budgets. Assure that contractors meet all requirements and specifications and complete projects on time and on budget.
- Assist in managing MoW partner/vendor relationships, contracts and services.
- Perform regular inspections on track construction projects for conformance with construction plans and project specifications.
- Support bridge inspection and management program.
- Interact with Federal, State and Local agencies.
- Ensure the knowledge sharing of engineering best practices across departments; and develop and monitor technical standards to ensure adherence to them.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- High level of analytical problem-solving ability.
- Excellent communication, team building and leadership skills.
- Experience with railroad track design and engineering.
- Project management experience, including estimating and surveying.
- A willingness to travel and provide remote site support within the region.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering from a 4-year ABET-accredited college or university preferred.
- 5 years railroad engineering experience and/or training preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience in the railroad industry.
- Proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D training and/or experience with relevant engineering software preferred; and computer literate on Microsoft Office Suite.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Grapevine, Texas, United States