Director of Operations
POSITION REPORT TO: Regional Vice President
POSITION LOCATION: Assigned Area of Operations
DATE REVISED: September 2017
Statement of Purpose:________________________________________________
The Director of Operations is responsible for overall restaurant performance within an assigned area, generally 8 -12 restaurants depending on various factors. The Director of Operations leads all area restaurant operations, local marketing initiatives, recruits, develops and coaches restaurant managers, builds sales and profit while maintaining high operating standards, and ensuring guest satisfaction. They are also accountable for the success of the area by following Company guidelines, policies and procedures, and ensuring ethical business practices.
- Provide guidance and leadership in the delivery of outstanding guest experience, culinary operations, labor scheduling, inventory management, restaurant marketing and restaurant P&L
- Plan, identify, communicate and delegate responsibilities throughout the area to ensure excellent operations are consistently achieved
- Lead the area in the implementation of company initiatives
- Generate area sales growth by developing strategic short and long term marketing plans, ensuring the restaurants consistently deliver a positive guest experience, and executing local restaurant marketing initiatives
- Constantly review area operations and related reports to identify problems, concerns and opportunities for improvement and implement solutions
- Manage the area P&L by tracking expenses vs. annual budget, analyzing variances and initiating corrective action
- Ensure the area follows policies and procedures
- Develop area succession plan by evaluating open opportunities, assessing internal talent and leading recruiting efforts
- Provide coaching and feedback to restaurant managers and assess performance on an ongoing basis.
- Partner with restaurant managers to set personal development goals in order to build their skills and abilities for career progression.
- Create a positive team environment by recognizing and reinforcing individual and restaurant accomplishments
- Challenge and inspire restaurant management teams to achieve business results
- Coach restaurant managers in team member recruiting, development, performance management, and retention in order to ensure the restaurant is properly staffed, turnover goals are met and succession planning is in place
- Lead the area with integrity and knowledge that promotes the culture and beliefs of Bob Evans Restaurants
- Lead area succession planning by identifying talent internally and externally and developing that talent into restaurant leaders
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of restaurant operations
- General knowledge of functional support areas, including H.R., training, marketing, finance, and development
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to coach, motivate and mentor restaurant managers
- Demonstrated expertise in hiring, staffing, training, and the on-going management of a multi-lingual restaurant staff is required
- Strong delegation experience including; holding others accountable, business planning and communicating across a dispersed group of restaurant managers
- Ability to effectively handle and manage confidential and sensitive information
- Articulate and solid communicator with effective presentation skills
- Demonstrated management of all applicable restaurant regulatory areas, to include: employee safety, food safety, HAACP, wage & hour, immigration, etc.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Ability to achieve results through leadership and management of others
- Prior experience in a multi-unit leadership role is preferred
- Minimum of 7-10 years of prior restaurant experience including strong single-unit performance and some experience leading/managing initiatives
- Prior experience in a family, fast-casual, or casual dining restaurant is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum age of 21 years
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; climb or balance; and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.