DescriptionThe Director, Technology M&A performs research, IT financial analysis and modeling in advance of an acquisition in order to identify risks and synergy opportunities associated with a Target company's organization, technology capabilities, processes, applications, and infrastructure. The Director, Technology M&A requires an in-depth understanding of how organization capabilities interrelate across the function or segment.
The Director, Technology M&A makes recommendations regarding the technology impact of possible mergers, acquisitions and divestitures on the organization's profitability. Conducts appropriate due diligence to ensure the reliability of information provided by potential acquisition targets. Decisions are typically related to the implementation of new/updated programs or large-scale projects for the function and supporting technical/operational procedures and processes, and implements strategic plans, drives goals and objectives, and improves performance. Provides input into functions strategy.
Position OverviewAt Humana, we want to inspire people to live life fully by awakening them to the right choices for themselves and each other. As the healthcare industry changes and evolves, we’re changing too. We’re growing and re-shaping to become an organization that is committed to helping people achieve lifelong well-being. Humana is an organization where change is constant, and we always have our consumers in mind. We’re known as an innovator in our industry, with a history of being out front of where healthcare needs to go. We need people with a passion for helping others and making change happen. We don’t want to be like everyone else in the industry—we want to be better. And we’re looking for talent that wants to grow, be challenged and inspired to help make that happen.Against that backdrop we are currently seeking a mission-driven and consumer-oriented technology leader for the role of Merger & Acquisition Technology Director to continue to establish a ‘best in class’ Technology Integration Center of Excellence supporting Humana’s corporate development efforts and our mission to help our members achieve lifelong well-being. The candidate must have experience with national scale technology strategy and operations, healthcare industry and functional depth, and experience with support of corporate development processes from target screening and due-diligence through integration and/or separation execution. This Director is responsible for providing due diligence and integration/separation leadership, including a key role in the Technology Integration Management Office (IMO) setup and management, leading various functional work streams and providing M&A mentoring to business units and technology teams.
The M&A Technology Director will operate in a highly matrixed environment, leading M&A project teams of varying sizes, depending on the nature of the project.
The Director will report directly the Vice President Technology, Mergers and Acquisitions who has over 24 years of healthcare and information technology experience and recently returned to Humana to serve as the Vice President, Technology Mergers and Acquisitions. Prior to this role, he served in a number of Senior IT roles including CTO of Conifer’s Value Based Care division and CIO at Concentra.“We must maintain the discipline of prioritizing our efforts so that we concentrate on what will have the greatest impact on our customers. Viewing our various initiatives from the customer perspective should constantly remind us to focus on how we deploy our most important resource, our time.” - Bruce Broussard, Humana President & CEOKey Roles and Responsibilities
- Contribute to assessment and gap analysis of strategic capabilities in areas of strategic focus, helping identify potential acquisition targets to close gaps and engaging with the Corporate Development team to execute.
- Assess functional and technology investment strategies of potential targets; comparing prospective operating models against leading practices, industry benchmarks & Humana standards.
- Lead the IT team(s) partnering with our Corporate Development / M&A practice, including leading functional and technology assessments during due diligence planning, integration, and post close execution management of M&A transactions
- Provide management and oversight on M&A projects focused on IT work streams, including IT Infrastructure Integration, Data Center Migration, Application & Data Integration / Separation / Rationalization, Information Security Risk Management, IT Synergies and Dis-Synergies.
- Understand and estimate investment needs and requirements and turn those goals into concrete proposals & plans.
- Set the pace and plan for acquisition integrations & guide the decision making process.
- Facilitate due diligence site visits focused on identifying functional and technical strategy, organizational structures, current state business processes, vendor relationships and supporting technologies.
Key InteractionsClearly defined interactions with Executives including Board and Joint Operating Committees, all levels of Corporate Development / M&A, Information Technology (e.g. Business Technology Leaders, Security, Infrastructure, Engineering, Enterprise Architecture, etc.) and Business (Operations, Humana Resources, Compliance, Legal, etc.) and Clinical Organizations. Also includes significant interaction with external parties, potential targets, bankers, private equity and consulting organizations.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The successful candidate will be a strategic-thinking business and technology professional with 15+ years of broad and deep services delivery and management experience. This will include 5 or more years’ experience planning and implementing M&A-related IT integration and separation projects, and a proven track record of managing a P&L, technology team, and/or operations. This person will also possess strong financial acumen and hold a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s Preferred) in a relevant field (i.e., Operations Management, MIS, IT).In addition, the following experience, qualifications, and personal attributes are sought:
- Self-Starter & Requires Little Guidance
- IT Strategy, Operating Model Creation and Organizational Leadership
- Subject Matter Experts in M&A IT across the M&A lifecycle
- Substantive & demonstrated leadership in Provider / Clinical, Health Plan and Technology.
- Extensive experience presenting to and collaborating with senior executives
- Proficiency at articulating key messages effectively
- High-energy, visionary executive with a proven entre-/intra-preneurial track record of defining and delivering new products, services or initiatives.
- Skill in collaboration and diplomacy to ensure effective working relationships across matrixed teams
- Experience guiding business partners on key concepts and strategies for M&A engagements, including but not limited to stranded cost analysis, risk and information security management, business continuity during transformation, synergy identification and capture, and system migrations.
- Expertise managing transactions at both pre- and post-close stages within the M&A lifecycle
- Proven ability to work closely with the line of business owners to understand the underlying business objectives, processes and technologies being used within an organization to be able to make recommendations on how to achieve long-term scalability, reduce operational cost, or better support business processes
- A record of success in managing project economics including:
- Creating and tracking projects budgets, govern procurement & services spend
- Mentoring and managing teams of program managers and consultants, and reviewing and ensuring quality of work done by the team
- Quickly responding to partner requests while driving projects to completion
- Advanced IT knowledge providing subject matter expertise across critical components of business and technology domains (e.g. enterprise risk and compliance, data management and governance, information protection, strategic sourcing, applications, IT operations, IT finance, end-user computing, messaging, enterprise architecture, and testing)
- Experience participating in the development and presentation of board proposals for business development activities
- Proven skills in building collaborative relationships with team members, fostering a productive team environment, and coaching staff with timely meaningful feedback
- Strong project management methodology background, including schedule, scope, issue and risk management experience, change management, strategic planning and analysis
- Knowledge and experience working with private equity buyout and/or strategic mergers and acquisitions focused in healthcare, software/high-tech, or financial services is preferred.
- MBA or Master’s in Computer Science degree preferred
- Ability to travel up to 60% required
Location: Louisville, KY (strongly preferred); other locations will be considered on a case-by-case basis
Scheduled Weekly Hours40