Job Purpose or Scope: The Dispatch Manager, through direct involvement with all components of the operation, directs the day-to-day operation of the transportation system. Specifically, all client expectations and requirements must be met while complying with corporate policies and procedures. This position must organize and conduct activities to ensure safe, cost-effective, and on-time operating performance of the transportation system.
- Ensures service delivery at standards set in client contract. Controls live day Rides Per Hour (RPH), Cab Usage, On Time Performance (OTP) of routes and ensures Incoming call percentage meets client expectations.
- Facilitates complaint resolution.
- Coordinates personnel recruiting, hiring, and training. Coordinates re-training and safety instruction. Provides supplemental training to employees as required
- Monitor for meeting of Key Performance Indicators in the Dispatch department, documenting issues, offering ideas, acting on these ideas as needed.
- Oversight of staff schedules and verifies work records for payroll. Coordinates validation of routes with validation clerk. Screens route sheets, pay sheets, and performance reports for accuracy and trends.
- Ensures overtime is controlled within budget. Ensures part-time employees do not consistently work full-time hours.
- Maintains a positive work environment by providing all employees are acknowledged and motivated, provides fair and equitable supervision and encouraging professional and personal growth.
- Ensures all safety regulations are being observed and all training methods are adequate and effective.
- Documents employee performance, provides training and applies appropriate discipline to Dispatchers.
- May perform General Manager duties in the absence of the General Manager.
- Maintains on-call availability for all hours of the operation.
Describe level of decision making and list examples of common decisions made: The Operations Manager is directly supervised by the Project/General Manager. Support is provided from all of the Corporate Departments (Safety; Human Resources; Accounting; Payroll; Maintenance; Information Systems; etc.) Operations Manager has ability to make daily service related operational decisions in directing the affairs of dispatch and complaint resolution.
Minimum Education & Certifications Required: Bachelor's degree strongly preferred; Four (4) years of supervisory/management experience in a Dispatch environment; An equivalent combination of education and experience required may be considered
Experience & Skills Required:
- Be able to assimilate information quickly and accurately in order to make effective day-to-day operational decisions.
- Computer literate and have knowledge of MS Office.
- Familiarity with basic vehicle mechanical processes and maintenance preferred.
- Supervisory experience with hourly employees and knowledge of Human Resources issues.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to effectively prioritize tasks, and strong time management skills.
- Effectively interact with all levels of employees, from vehicle operators to Senior Management and with the general public.
The Operations Manager must be able to perform the following tasks, among others:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Work extended hours on a regular basis.
- Willing to work on Saturdays.
- Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Assimilate information quickly and accurately.
- Manage personnel effectively.
- Oversee and monitor all safety issues.
- Prioritize tasks and manage time effectively.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions (include amount of travel): Work environments include office, transit facility, maintenance facility and transit vehicles.