Want to work for a company that's REALLY moving? Join First Transit!
The Dispatcher assures all routes are filled as assigned and bus operators are provided with timely instructions and responses to requests for operational information throughout the day. This position also responds to customer and team inquiries. We hire individuals who make safety and customer service their top priorities. If you have the drive, confidence, and determination to succeed, First Transit is looking for you!
First Transit is proud to offer:
- Competitive wages.
- Tremendous career advancement opportunities due to a strong presence across North America.
- A comprehensive benefits package with paid holidays & vacation, medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan.
- A great work environment!
Dispatcher Major Responsibilities:
- Responds to customer inquiries and needs in a timely manner. Serves as intake person for customer complaints/commendations and sells bus passes
- Oversees road service assigned carriers by tracking trip performance measures, route begin on time, performance, incidents, etc.
- Processes route openings, insertions, extensions and issue resolutions
- Uses computer system to retrieve scheduled information. Uses reference material to quickly and accurately determine the best method to assist client.
- Provides customer support by responding to questions and concerns regarding customer trips including no shows, cancellations and missed trips.
- Completes a variety of daily reports and clerical duties
- Answers and directs business calls to appropriate personnel
- Manages emergency situations for vehicle operators; act as liaison between the carrier and emergency services.
- Manages daily service by reviewing route performance and proactively responding to situations that impact customer service.
- Communicates information and instructions to drivers (schedules, route changes, road conditions, accidents, emergencies, etc.) for the purpose of advising drivers on a variety of situations that impact customer service
- Participates in a variety of activities for the purpose of receiving and/or conveying information required to perform job functions (meetings and training)
- Effectively resolves transportation scheduling problems (driver absenteeism, out of service vehicles) for the purpose of ensuring all routes are covered in a safe manner
- Working under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and coordinating others
- Communicating with diverse groups, working with constant interruptions, working as part of a team, and meeting deadlines and schedules
- Performs other related duties for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the operations
Dispatcher Experience & Skills:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Technical degree preferred
- 1 year of customer service, dispatch, or scheduling experience preferred
- Excellent phone demeanor and customer service skills
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, judgment and problem solving abilities
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- All candidates subject to pre-employment criminal background check and drug screen.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Incumbent must be able to move about the office and between floors; utilize standard office equipment; access filing system/cabinets; and communicate effectively and efficiently in person or by telephone.
- Sitting for extended periods of time
First Transit is a leading provider of transportation contract and management services, moving more than 350 million passengers annually. First Transit employs more than 19,500 dedicated transit professionals through fixed-route, paratransit, college/airport shuttle services and rail operations at more than 300 locations in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, Panama and India. With a dedication to safety and outstanding customer service, First Transit sets itself apart from other providers in the industry.
Become a part of our team - Apply today!
First Transit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.