The Manager of Sustainability will oversee and manage the environmental and sustainability programs for Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel and Grand Hotel. Maintain an update Environmental Management System for Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel and Grand Hotel for all areas of operation. Maintain accurate record keeping of all waste streams.
- Fully understand and support Xanterra Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Develop, implement and maintain environmental and sustainable strategies for Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel (GCR/H) and The Grand Hotel (TGH) working in conjunction with the Xanterra Travel Collection’s Director of Sustainability, GCR/H General Manager’s and GCR/H department heads.
- Maintains high priority with recording and updating corrective action database (CPAD) with all issues as they relate to sustainability.
- Develop standards for all GCR/H departments and (TGH) in conservation and environmental goals in areas such as energy and water efficiency, solid waste management and pollution prevention.
- Liaison with property departments, including Facilities and Purchasing, in setting standards and monitoring results on conservation and environmental goals.
- Develop and implement training programs for GCR/H and (TGH) in areas such as environmental education, environmental stewardship and environmental initiative compliance and achievement.
- Develop a Green Team for GCR/H, hold regularly scheduled meetings and establish goals and objectives for the committee.
- Analyze for effectiveness and improve GCR/H environmental and sustainable projects, including sustainable design initiatives and cost impacts.
- Measure impact of programs and prepare required reports for GCR/H, (TGH) and National Park Service Concessions Management.
- Work closely with General Manager and Xanterra Travel Collection’s Director of Sustainability, Corporate Legal Counsel and any consultants on ensuring legal compliance with environmental statutes and regulations, such as hazardous materials, and minimizing legal liabilities from potential environmental hazards.
- Provide input in the selection and monitoring of any environmental consultants and contractors that GCR/H may contract with.
- Responsible for Department of Sustainability hiring, training and scheduling.
- Prepare and administer financial plan for Department of Sustainability.
- Review all GCR/H and (TGH) capital expenditure project ensuring minimum impact to the environment and suggest alternates in a timely manner.
- Work with General Manager at The Grand Hotel to ensure environmental compliance.
- Responsible for working closely to ensure that employees in your area are effectively and continually being monitored and evaluated to ensure an individual’s performance is at an acceptable level; completes performance evaluations, and ensures HIG’s are done following the appropriate timeline established by the department, submitting them into HR in a timely manner.
- Ensure that Kronos (time keeping system) is monitored daily for entire department. Ensure Kronos is verified daily by 10am and entire payroll completed for payroll period end (PPE).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science or related field, plus two years professional experience in all phases of environmental and conservation management.
- Extensive experience in technical writing, data entry and public speaking.
- Experience in developing environmental initiatives and implementing all phases of a company-wide environmental program.
- Experience in environmental report writing.
- Experience assessing cost effectiveness, cost savings, program effectiveness and program compliance.
- Possess and maintain a valid/clear Arizona Driver’s License and comply with the Xanterra/GCR Company Vehicle Policy.
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications, follow detailed directions).
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions).
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills).
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries.
- May require work in inclement weather conditions.
- Work safely to ensure company equipment is secure.
- Wear protective equipment as required by the job duties.
- May require some travel out of state and within the region of responsibility.
- Complete required training and certification related to the position.
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Constantly sitting, handling and lifting/carrying up to 20lbs.
- Constantly listening, hearing, seeing, and speaking.
- Frequently standing, walking and reaching outward.
- Occasionally reaching above shoulder, climbing, squatting, kneeling, bending, lifing/carrying up to 100lbs, and pushing/pulling up to 25lbs.
- May be required to stand and walk for long periods of time on cement floors and to occasionally walk on uneven surfaces.