WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books and a leader in educational technology and related services and children’s media. For nearly 100 years Scholastic has been delivering outstanding books, magazines and educational programs directly to schools and families. Today their books, magazines, print and multi-media technology-based learning materials help children learn both at school and at home. The Company distributes these products and services in more than 150 countries.
Within the US market their products are in more than 90% of schools and over half the teachers in the U.S. have an active account tapping into Scholastic’s teaching resources. With annual revenues of approximately ~$1.7 billion Scholastic operates through three divisions: Children's Book Publishing and Distribution; Education and Classroom Magazines; and International. Through each of Scholastic’s divisions literacy remains the cornerstone of all that they do with a corporate mission to encourage the intellectual and personal growth of all children, beginning with literacy.
Based in New York City and reporting to the SVP of Technology & Digital Services the Executive Director Digital Products & Commerce will lead and drive: Digital product development, eCommerce Performance & Operations, and Design and UX teams to create and grow business value for Scholastic. This position is the leading Digital Product Management executive at Scholastic. This executive’s team will deliver eCommerce customer experiences, utilizing both in-house and third-party solutions that give Scholastic a market leading capability. Functions that report to this Executive Director, include:
• eCommerce Performance & Operations
• Product development lifecycle for web and commerce platforms
• Design and UI/UX Research and Development
Overall responsibilities and deliverables include:
• Lead the eCommerce experience at Scholastic, including ecommerce product optimization, strategic roadmap prioritization, and performance metrics and reporting.
• Drive revenue through new product launches and store optimizations across all key flows such as store layout and navigation, search, registration, and cart/checkout.
• Drive product innovation across all aspects of the eCommerce customer experience, including building out A/B testing frameworks
• Lead initiatives to improve the customer experience, including site speed and performance, easy site navigation, and clear paths to purchase.
• Lead analysis and make decisions through use of comprehensive Web and eCommerce analytics and metrics
• In collaboration with Scholastic business units, lead the design, integration, and implementation of a Scholastic digital loyalty program for audiences.
• Stay abreast of key eCommerce technology trends and make appropriate recommendations for the eCommerce platform and digital content platforms to improve the content to commerce conversion process.
• Ensure an excellent digital customer experience through customer-centric design, mobile first design, rich content, navigation, branding, design, performance, quality, and functionality
• Lead product management function to build and deliver the digital and Commerce capabilities Scholastic’s business requires with speed, agility, and a strong return on investment.
• Leverage customer insights and monitor competitive landscape and market conditions to identify and take action on opportunities, issues, and risks.
The successful candidate will possess the appropriate educational credentials, coupled with extensive experience in Product Management, eCommerce, and Design/UX.
• 10+ years of experience with digital product management and eCommerce in a consumer driven business
• Bachelor’s degree in technology, engineering, business, or marketing – Advanced degree preferred (a combination of technology and business degrees is ideal)
• A prior role that demonstrates the ability to grow revenue in a consumer eCommerce environment.
• Experience with eCommerce in both B2C and B2B environments is valuable
• Experience in a Product Management / Product owner role and a track record of taking key initiatives from concept to delivery.
• Track record for designing and executing complex and well-coordinated initiatives with integrated multi-disciplinary teams
• Experience leading a multi-function digital organization with 15+ team members.
• Strategic thinking with experience building best-in-class digital products and eCommerce capabilities
• Proven track record of innovation in creating digital customer experiences
• Current on leading edge technologies and digital strategies to grow customer engagement and commerce conversions
• Ability to manage and optimize online Store performance and adjust based on real-time data and metrics.
• Subject Matter Expert in eCommerce and well-versed in digital strategy with experience in using digital content to acquire customers and drive them to commerce
• Ability to foster an atmosphere of cooperation and collaboration among business units
• Experience partnering with technology and engineering teams
• Experience in an agile product development model
• Ability to create a vision for how Scholastic can best create an industry leading digital experience that drives commerce
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to lead by influence and drive effective change in an organization.
• Ability to identify and implement metrics that are critical to measuring the effectiveness of an eCommerce operation
• Ability to hire, train, and grow top talent in the Digital product management, design and Commerce disciplines.
The Executive Director, Digital Products and Commerce will be an intellectual and action oriented executive capable of representing this function at senior levels within the corporation and the customer community. She/he will have the ability to understand others’ points of view, persuade and influence others, and obtain their commitment and support. The emphasis of the department will be on partnering relationships in spirit and practice.
The Executive Director will also be a hands on working manager, with a high energy level and the ability to communicate at all levels of the organization.
She/he will develop strong peer relationships, which build on positive cross-organizational interactions, and establish the department as a focal point for leading
digital product and commerce efforts at Scholastic.
This position will offer the individual an opportunity to be part of an industry leader with a mission to engage children in learning and the joy of reading. She/he will serve in a critical leadership role that is driving Scholastic’s digital engagement model as Scholastic prepares for its next 100 years of success. This leader will also drive a cultural transformation to create a work place that is fun, engaging, collaborative, agile, high throughput, and customer focused.
The Corporation will pay a competitive compensation package with an excellent benefits package. The successful candidate will have high visibility within the organization and will be in an excellent position to make both a significant contribution to the Corporation, as well as provide for future career-broadening assignments based on performance.