Executive Editor, Scholastic News Edition 3 and Geography Spin
This executive editor will oversee editorial content for Scholastic News Edition 3, Scholastic’s classroom magazine for third-graders, and Geography Spin, a supplement to Scholastic News.
Scholastic News Edition 3 is a weekly current events magazine. It is published 22 times during the school year and includes a 4-page student edition, a teacher’s guide, videos, and multiple digital resources.
Geography Spin is a monthly magazine with a geography focus for students in grades 3-6. It is published 8 times during the school year year and includes a 4-page student edition, a teacher’s guide, videos, and multiple digital resources.
- Develop, edit, and oversee the packaging of each issue of Scholastic News Edition 3, which includes a variety of nonfiction articles, reading comprehension activities, videos, and digital content that supports the third-grade curriculum
- Develop, edit, and oversee the packaging of each issue of Geography Spin, which includes a skill-based feature article, supporting map, map activities, reading and map comprehension questions, videos, and digital content
- Manage two senior editors who write and edit content for their respective magazines
- Meet regularly with art director to guide layouts and brainstorm art ideas
- Initiate and monitor feedback from subscribers and a team of advisers
- Collaborate with editors, designers, freelancers, copyeditors, photo editors, production managers, and marketing personnel through all phases of production
- Develop and produce ancillaries such as posters, curriculum-driven workbooks, and digital products for third through sixth grade markets.
HOW YOU CAN FIT
- B.S. or B.A., preferably in Elementary Education, English, or Communications
- At least 8-10 years of print editing experience, ideally in educational publishing
- Elementary school teaching experience preferred
- A knack for identifying kid-friendly news topics that can be packaged in a visually engaging way
- Ability to manage the work of multiple people in fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Knowledge of trends in education, including evolving standards and assessments
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.