If you want to achieve more in your mission of health care, you have to be really smart about the business of health care. Challenge yourself, your peers and our industry by shaping what health care looks like and doing your life's best work.(sm)
Under general direction, plans, organizes, directs, staffs and controls a wide range of operations and activities pertaining to patient registration and hospital admitting, including but not limited to, financial counseling, insurance verification, pre-registration, service scheduling, and point-of-service collections; provides daily direction and leadership to assigned staff; develops and administers new programs and services; participates in strategic development and planning processes; and performs other duties as assigned.
This is a single-position management class. The incumbent performs responsible and moderately complex management-level duties by overseeing the Patient Admitting Department. The incumbent serves a member of the hospital’s management team and ensures that assigned programs, functions and operations conform to organizational goals and objectives. Duties include significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and procedures in assigned areas, as well as providing management support and advice to superiors. Assigned operations and functions primarily emphasize the administrative and financial aspects of patient registrations and admissions.
- Plans, organizes, directs, staffs and controls patient registration and hospital admitting operations and activities; oversees financial counseling, insurance verification, pre-registration, service scheduling, point-of-service collections and related activities; ensures that assigned areas conform to hospital goals, objectives and requirements
- Plans, assigns, directs, and monitors the work of subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors; develops and/or approves staff schedules; analyzes and distributes staff assignments and workloads; evaluates employee performance; recommends and implements employee disciplinary actions as appropriate; responds to grievances and complaints; initiates and coordinates staff selection and training processes; ensures that staff activities comply with organizational expectations
- Develops, recommends and implements policies and procedures for assigned programs and services to ensure their consistency with hospital standards and requirements; directs the development and maintenance of appropriate procedure manuals and related documents
- Ensures that outpatient registrations and inpatient admissions are thoroughly screened for insurance coverage and have required pre-authorizations, in order to safeguard the hospital’s accounts receivables and determine patient responsibility and cash collection at the time of service; monitors the work of staff to verify that they are thoroughly gathering patient demographic and financial information to maximize payment for services rendered
- Develops, recommends and implements quality control systems to ensure that assigned programs, services and activities are efficient, effective and in compliance with internal and external laws, policies and standards; develops systems pertaining to confidentiality, information security, safety, environmental/infection control, financial accountability and other related areas
- Develops, recommends and implements policies and procedures designed to ensure a quick, efficient and courteous experience for patients; monitors and controls patient waiting times; ensures that appropriate test results, orders, and other critical documents are available at the time of patient arrival
- Responds to concerns and/or complaints from patients, the public, medical staff, subordinates, and/or other hospital employees pertaining to assigned areas in order to maintain positive customer relations; researches and investigates issues; prepares written or oral responses as needed
- Coordinates service denial processes, appeals, and point of service collection processes with the Patient Financial Services division so that maximum financial reimbursement can be obtained
- Represents assigned areas to other hospital divisions, other County departments, and external agencies to coordinate activities, identify issues, resolve problems and share information; confers with hospital administrative, clinical and other personnel to resolve management and patient access issues; participates in organizational strategic planning activities to ensure the delivery of comprehensive and coordinated health services; serves on committees and task forces to address specific issues and/or represent the department as assigned; attends meetings and conferences as assigned
- Prepares and administers assigned budgets; monitors, evaluates and approves expenditures within limits of authority; analyzes staffing needs; performs cost/benefit analyses as appropriate; plans and estimates future costs including capital expenditures as appropriate; justifies requests for equipment and personnel
- Conducts meetings and gives presentations
- Oversees the preparation and maintenance of documents and information in order to comply with administrative policies as well as JCAHO and other regulations
- Conducts special studies and projects as assigned; researches and analyzes information; prepares statistical and narrative reports and documents as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 5 or more years of Revenue Cycle Management experience in Registration
- Operational knowledge of Federal and State regulations pertaining to patient admission and registration, medical terminology, team building and cohesiveness.
- Proficient in Excel
- Working knowledge of standards from regulatory agencies and accrediting organizations (DHS, HCFA, OSHA, TJC, Title XXII, EMTALA)
- Experience with insurance verification/authorization processes, managed care, CHA consent manual, CQI principles, tools and techniques
Behavioral Health experience
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Manager Patient Registration, Stockton, CA, California