PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Responsible for ensuring the Company is in compliance with all Federal U.S. domestic tax laws, reporting requirements and tax payment requirements. Responsible for managing all federal tax compliance and planning for income taxes which includes the gathering of all financial information to be used for modeling, projections and planning purposes. Responsible for directing the IRS audit defense. Responsible for managing the interface with Accounting in the development of accounting policies and resulting tax implications. Responsible for directing the management of the tax processing software, tax fixed assets, tax attributes, and tax shelters & disclosures. Responsible for tax research and planning for federal tax areas such as consolidated returns, NOLs, accounting methods, etc.
- Manage, supervise and guide the professionals in the Income Tax Team. Develop, train, coach and recognize talent among the members of the team. Provide technical oversight, guidance and expertise to the team members in the execution of their tasks. Motivate the team to accomplish group goals and ensure the efficient, productive operation of the team. Conduct regular performance appraisals and mentor individuals toward career development and personal growth. Actively support skill development training and continuous improvement. Create an environment of accountability and collaboration. Partner with other Tax Department members in cross-functional goals and projects. Strive for a team that consistently delivers value-added services that increase shareholder value.
- Manage all Federal tax compliance tasks including the federal returns, quarterly estimated tax payments and amended returns as necessary for the Company. Manage all planning, research and analysis for Federal tax return positions. Document tax positions in order to defend them upon IRS audit. Review documentation of the Company's tax return positions with regard to all areas of Federal tax including consolidated returns, general tax, net operating losses, tax credits, accounting methods, tax shelter disclosures, etc. Ensure all positions have substantial authority. Ensure that all tax deductions are claimed and utilized in an efficient manner. Direct the review of information provided for the income tax provision, including estimates of permanent and temporary differences, tax attributes, and related true-ups. Monitor developments in applicable areas of the tax law to determine the impact on the Company's tax return positions. Document tax policies and procedures.
- Manage the Company's fixed asset compliance and reporting requirements which is currently maintained in CCH's Fixed Asset Manager. Detail review of all fixed asset support prepared by the tax fixed asset supervisor. Review of industry specific IIR requirements and reconciliations.
- Manage the relationship with the IRS. Conduct and control the Company's IRS examinations including collection of information in response to IRS Information Request Documents, defend the Company's tax positions and work with all IRS agents. Provide expertise on all matters regarding IRS Practice & Procedure. Manage all IRS notices and response. Negotiate with the IRS on tax, penalty and interest assessments in order to minimize the Company's liabilities.
- Build and strengthen relationships with other individuals and groups within the Department and the Company and work in a collaborative manner to ensure that the Tax Department is viewed as an effective and trusted business partner. Manage all Federal research and planning and develop and implement strategies to minimize and reduce the overall tax burden (both cash and effective tax rate). Participate in the development of restructuring strategies to ensure the Company operates in the most tax efficient structure for tax purposes.
- Manage the relationship with the Accounting Department regarding all matters related to the general ledger to ensure information is recorded to facilitate the download of information into the tax preparation and tax provision software tools. Understand the book accounting for the transactions to ensure the federal return and provision positions are appropriate.
- Direct the management of the Tax Software Tool (OneSource). Develop and implement practices and procedures for efficient collection of information and preparation of returns including development of new processes to meet changing tax law requirements. Assess and apply technology and system solutions to tax processes and information needs. Ensure the downloaded book financial information and tax workpapers are maintained so that they can be accessed in the most efficient manner.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirement includes a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting. Masters of Taxation is preferred. CPA is required.
At least 6 years of federal income tax experience is required (8-12 years is preferred), preferably in a large corporate work environment which may be in industry, Big 4 accounting firm or similar surroundings. 1 - 2 years of management experience is required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS or ABILITIES:
- Strong computer systems and technology skills, including experience with accounting and tax software and MS Office software
- Strong technical knowledge of Federal tax concepts and accounting principles
- Effective management skills, including coaching and mentoring
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, including good listening skills
- Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate complex tax concepts and results effectively to senior management
- Effective project management, time management and resource management skills
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to identify and solve complex technical and managerial problems and do so in a proactive manner
- Ability to be an effective change agent and drive continuous improvement
- Sound business judgment in interpersonal, managerial and technical matters
- Ability to work well with different levels of staff, peers and upper management
- Ability to be effective in forming relationships within the Company, with external advisors, and with tax officials, in order to effectively promote the Company's tax position
- Must be a solid team player and demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment across functional areas
- Must conduct himself/herself in a professional, respectful and appropriate manner at all times with the highest integrity
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS or ABILITIES:
- Experience with Oracle
- Experience with OneSource Tax Compliance Software
- Experience with Hyperion and Hyperion Retrieve
- Effective negotiating skills
- Effective decision-making skills
- Strong tax planning skills
- Strong financial analysis skills
- Innovation and creativity
- Visioning skills
- Constructive conflict skills
- Ability to be an effective change agent and drive continuous improvement
- Ability to influence others and command respect
This position has the authority to make technical decisions and process-oriented decisions relative to all aspects of federal income taxes for the Company as well as administrative decisions relative to financial and human resources for their assigned Team. This position also has the authority to initiate discussions and research regarding planning ideas for the minimization of the overall federal tax burden or the improvement of cash flow and to negotiate tax audits.
This position has 2-3 direct reports to supervise and manage. Additionally, the position relies on 1 additional professional who will be utilized at some times to execute the required tasks and responsibilities for the income tax function.