At Wells Fargo, we have one goal: to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them achieve their dreams. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Wholesale Banking provides financial solutions to businesses across the United States and globally. Our nine major business lines include Business Banking, Middle Market Banking, Government and Institutional Banking, Corporate Banking, Commercial Real Estate, Financial Institutions Group, Wells Fargo Commercial Capital, Wells Fargo Securities, and the Investment Portfolio. We also have groups in credit risk, group risk, finance, marketing, human relations, and the Wholesale Chief Operating Office that support our businesses.
Financial Institutions Group (FIG): Financial Institutions Group is one of nine major business lines within Wholesale Banking. It is a specialized coverage team responsible for global relationships with financial services providers. Relationships span across a broad range of industries, with clients including Banks, Insurance Companies, Asset Managers, Broker Dealers, Exchanges, Title and Escrow Companies, and Finance Companies.
The Wholesale Control Organization is a newly formed organization within Wholesale Banking that is responsible for supporting Wholesale lines of business with risk strategy, implementation, and execution to meet regulatory, corporate, and group risk management requirements and expectations. This group interfaces with Independent Risk Management teams (f/k/a second line of defense) and third lines of defense, as well as risk teams supporting each Wholesale business. It has five risk operations groups, a control strategy and implementation unit, and ten business control teams charged with providing consistent implementation of enterprise-risk programs across Wholesale. Through proactive coordination, WCO delivers an integrated risk strategy producing a sustainable control environment and demonstrable culture of strong risk management.
This senior position will support the FIG globally and have direct management responsibility for a team of Financial Crime Managers and Consultants across the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean (“USCC”); Asia-Pacific; Europe; and Middle East and Africa (“MEA”). The position reports directly to the FIG Head of Financial Crimes Controls.
The Global Customer Risk Manager is a critical role within FIG, responsible for ensuring that FIG is properly managing all aspects of customer-related financial crimes risk. The primary focus of this role is to ensure that each FIG region understands, documents, and implements appropriate controls to mitigate AML, CDD, EDD, Sanctions, and other customer risks. Additionally, the Global Customer Risk Manager may have oversight of certain strategic relationships and may call on those financial institution customers with the relationship teams to ensure appropriate compliance issues are discussed, documented, and managed. He or she will also be responsible for ensuring the regional FIG teams proactively identify trends and patterns that may present risk issues or opportunities for FIG and escalate those appropriately to FIG Senior Management. The Global Customer Risk Manager will also be expected to build strong, direct relationships with internal and external counterparts (especially in the case of high risk banks/countries).
Additional responsibilities include:
- Act as the key point of contact for enquiries from FIG Vertical and Regional Heads, Corporate Financial Crimes Risk Management, and FIG Risk & Controls; and ensure that all enquiries are responded to appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Assist in coordinating global training. Training would include client education, seminars, and active participation in relevant conferences and industry bodies within the Area/Region.
- Quickly identify, strategize, and report on compliance related issues with specific customers or in the region as a whole.
- Serve as an escalation point for all FIG Regional Customer Risk Managers
- Ensure consistency of approach across different regions
- Staff development; including managing premier performance of direct team members
- Actively work to continually improve the FIG risk culture and risk methodology
The successful candidate for this role will demonstrate effectiveness in building high performing teams focused on driving business results through leadership effectiveness and team member engagement; contributing to broad risk management strategy with a One Wells Fargo lens by living the vision and values of Wells Fargo. This collaborative leader must be capable of initiating action and managing change.
Leadership, integrity, and credibility will be determining factors in selection. Successful candidates will be articulate and possess a demonstrated leadership capability; they will be impressive in their inter-personal effectiveness and with regard to their accomplishments. It requires a leader with strong relationship management, influencing, vision and execution skills. A key differentiator will be the ability to understand and operate successfully in a complex, heavily matrixed corporate environment. The role requires a sense of urgency, passion for results, and personal accountability for achievement.
Beyond experience, the right personal style and attitude are critical to success in this role. We are specifically seeking:
- Results-oriented with outstanding ability to motivate teams and mobilize the resources to accomplish objectives.
- Collaborator and true team player, translating prior business knowledge and experience into strong and productive relationships internally and externally to achieve goals and meet responsibilities associated with the Business Process Risk Management Program.
- Communicator that is comfortable working with a wide variety of business leaders, operations, and business partners. Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Organizational Awareness having and using knowledge of systems, situations, pressures, and culture within the company to identify potential risks and opportunities.
- Respected Business Partner who adds value to the broader team.
- Effective Manager leading people to perform, capable of attracting, mentoring, retaining and promoting talented and productive staff.
- Self-starter with a working knowledge of risk management fundamentals and translation of policy into operational controls.
- Strong Work Effort - dedicated, enthusiastic, driven and performance-oriented.
As a Team Member Manager, you are expected to achieve success by leading yourself, your team, and the business. Specifically you will:
- Lead your team with integrity and create an environment where your team members feel included, valued, and supported to do work that energizes them.
- Accomplish management responsibilities which include sourcing and hiring talented team members, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing team members, identifying and managing risks, and completing daily management tasks.
Team members support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following, and adhering to and if applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.Required Qualifications
- 10+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: fraud, Bank Secrecy Act, anti money laundering, investigations of financial crimes transactions or policy violations, risk management, or compliance
- 7+ years of management experience
- A BS/BA degree or higher
- A Masters of Business Administration (MBA) or Juris Doctor (JD)
- 10+ years of experience with BSA/AML/OFAC laws and regulations
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision in a structured environment
- Ability to work in a fast paced deadline driven environment
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of Information Security Frameworks and standards (FFIEC, NIST, ISO)
- An active Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM) designation
- Certified Anti Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
- Strong understanding of BSA, AML, Sanctions, and Due Diligence compliance requirements as they pertain to correspondent banking and Non-Bank Financial Institutions
- Experience making and owning difficult risk-based decisions
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision, but also able to work effectively in a team environment with colleagues and business partners
- Professional experience outside the US
- Fluency in one of more foreign languages
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.