The Front End Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the Front End Department including staff, sales, margin, and labor. They are required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Front End Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares the weekly sales and labor projections for the front end department in order to maximize sales and profits; ensures department operations are within the labor percent allowed.
- Monitors and controls all costs and expenses; includes maintaining proper ordering and inventory control, ensuring proper weighing procedures and controlling shrink.
- Manages the Front End Department staff including hiring, training, scheduling, coaching, and initiating required performance reviews; ensures staff is trained on all policies and procedures.
- Oversees shift operations including writing and/or approving Department work schedules and lane assignments.
- Ensures weekly flyer ads are in stock and ready for sale during business hours and that product for upcoming ads are ordered, in stock, and available for processing.
- Gives direction to assist within outside departments to stock department; includes facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Ensures cleanliness of front end aisles, storage area and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of liquid spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Responds positively to customer’s inquiries and assists customers with purchases, information and product selection; requires selling and cross selling of products.
- Monitors the rotation of all front end products paying particular attention to expired stock and discarding outdated or spoiled items.
- Balances the daily deposits and safe counts as required.
- Assists with pre-inventory preparation; includes thorough back stocking and assuring tags match products.
- Works with all departments to ensure and maintain appropriate functioning of entire store operations.
- Actively supports all perishable departments.
- Maintains protection and safety of customers, staff, equipment, facility, and other Company assets.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years professional experience in customer service management.
- Preferred 3-5 years grocery retail experience in Front End Service department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in a natural foods industry is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
- Must have knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to lead, support and contribute to team goals.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
- Must have advanced knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze and interpret Company financial statements and results.
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively build and create customer loyalty.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.
- Ability to enter the cold case, cooler, and freezer thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.