The Windham Region Transit District (WRTD) is seeking a General Manager to lead this growing agency. WRTD is located in college town of Mansfield, CT, serving the charming city of Willimantic, several rural communities and the University of Connecticut and Eastern Connecticut State University. WRTD operates Dial-A-Ride, ADA paratransit, fixed-route and deviated fixed-route services with a fleet of 20 vehicles out of a state of the art new facility.
WRTD is in the midst of a transformational period. The district is implementing an AVL system, restructuring routes with its new transportation planner and implementing an exciting strategic plan that includes expand the system to potentially twice its current size over the next five years.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of transit operations, the ability to foster relationships with local towns, community organizations and large stakeholders and passion to realize the district’s potential as regional transit powerhouse.
- Handles all contractual services to include administrative functions, information systems, parts purchasing, and inventory control.
- Ensures compliance of all company procedures and policies to include First Quality Management (FQM) requirements.
- Ensures services are provided within budget and action plans developed and implemented to improve operational efficiencies.
- Maintains company and contractual assets (vehicles, facilities, inventories, tools, and equipment).
- Ensures compliance of local, state, and federal laws and regulation (EPA, OSHA, DOT, ADA, and EEOC).
- Analyzes, prepares, and develops budgets and forecasts.
- Negotiates operating budgets and contractual terms with customers.
- Assesses resource needs, problems, and trends and plans accordingly.
- Develops action plans to ensure customer retention.
- Assures a safe working environment.
- Provides and promotes effective communications with customers.
- Provides leadership and guidance to develop location and company bench strength.
- Establishes training goals and requirements for all personnel.
- Satisfies client, corporate, and contractual reporting requirements and needs.
- Assists in technical sales support and develops sales leads.
Describe level of decision making and list examples of common decisions made:
- Develops budgets and forecasts.
- Negotiates contracts with customers.
Minimum Education & Certifications Required:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field strongly preferred.
Experience & Skills Required:
- Minimum 5 years fleet management/maintenance leadership experience.
- Computer literate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Must have evidence of building solid relationships with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and continuously motivate highly effective teams.
- Successful track record in managing budgets and/or P&L responsibility.
- Ability to interface with using agencies, directors, elected officials, operators, and all levels of hourly and salaried employees, including senior management.
- Must be a self-starter able to obtain successful results without supervision.