- As a member of the health care team they act as liaison or advocate for patients carrying a genetic trait or have an inherited disease
- As a genetic resource for physicians in identifying genetic structures to reach a definitive diagnosis
- Provide information and support to families in which a member is diagnosed with a genetic disorder or birth defect
- A source of information to families which are at risk or prone to certain inherited diseases
- Identify families at risk in the community investigating the problem, analyze the inheritance pattern and probability of occurrence or recurrence, then interpreting the information gathered to the families concerning the disorder and discuss genetic testing available
- Provide genetic counseling at high risk specialty breast care or medical oncology clinics for patients and/or family members of patients that may carry a genetic trait for certain inherited diseases
- Masters of Science Degree in Genetic Counseling
- Graduate of an approved program by the American Board of Genetic Counselors or the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics
- Board Certified or Board Eligible with the ability to obtain certification within 3 - 4 years
- Access to reliable transportation, which will enable you to travel to patient / client sites
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of products
- 2 years of experience utilizing an Electronic Medical Record (preferably, AllScripts, NextGEN, etc.)
- 1 year of experience in genetics / genomics
- Skilled in translating the genetic language into understandable terms for the populace
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.