The Groundskeeper is a seasonal position responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of The Grand Canyon Railway property grounds while maintaining a positive attitude and professional appearance.Responsibilities
- Fully understand and support Xanterra Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Maintain and operate all hand and power tools including lawn mowers, edgers, trimmers etc.
- Maintain and operate automatic sprinkler system in its entirety including determining and executing proper irrigation schedules for lawn and shrub areas.
- Maintain and care for vegetation including disease identification, fertilization, trimming, pruning, transplanting, planting and the like.
- Maintain fire defensive perimeter around assigned buildings.
- If necessary plow sidewalks for snow removal.
- Trim trees, shrubs and other vegetation as required and properly dispose of clippings.
- Perform preventive maintenance on all assigned power tools and mowers.
- Follow all applicable safety, risk management and environmental policies and procedures as related to the Gardener position.
- Wear all personal protective gear as required in performing job.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years of age to operate equipment.
- A valid Arizona Driver’s License, and be able to comply with the Xanterra/GCR Company Vehicle Policy.
- Previous experience in turf and shrub care or landscape maintenance.
- Knowledge of lawn care equipment including use and maintenance.
- Knowledge of rooms and hotel layout on GCR property, including general knowledge of Xanterra Grand Canyon Railway guest services with the ability to convey information to the guests.
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications, follow detailed directions)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries.
- Work in all inclement weather conditions.
- Work safely to ensure company equipment is secure.
- Wear protective equipment as required by the job duties.
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work as needed.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly standing, walking, balancing, climbing, twisting, eye/hand coordination, manual dexterity, handling, wrist motion, bending/ stooping, ascending and descending ladder.
- Trunk Strength-The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without giving our or fatiguing.
- Static Strength-The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects.
- Constant carrying, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 10lbs.
- Frequently carrying, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 25lbs.
- Occasionally carrying, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 100lbs.
- Constantly listening, hearing, seeing, and speaking.
- Will be required to stand and walk for long periods of time on cement floors and to occasionally walk on uneven surfaces.