The Human Resources Manager is responsible for providing HR direction and counsel to branch HR team members, streamlining hiring processes to ensure consistent, effective and efficient hiring of new team members, training, posting/reposting officers and ensuring compliance with federal, state and local laws within the Mid-Atlantic branch. The HRM role is 10% strategic and 90% tactical. The strategic portion consists of driving business results through solid people strategy and leadership, which includes the following four leadership principles – 1) hire great people, 2) set clear expectations, 3) provide the tools they need to succeed, 4) hold them accountable. This position is based at our Landover, Maryland office, and will have responsibility for Human Resources activities across a wide geographic range.
This position reports to the VP of Human Resources and the General Manager and is key member of the Whelan Security local leadership team.
Duties will include:
- Tactical involvement in the recruitment process.
- Oversee the on-boarding process to ensure compliance with all company standards.
- Facilitate employee engagement activities for the branch.
- Guarantee compliance for all state licensing requirements.
- Process FMLA/LOA requests.
- Manage workers' compensation claims for the branch.
- Facilitate progressive discipline policies and ensure it is executed fairly and consistently.
- Ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements (where applicable).
- You’re a difference maker looking for a challenge.
- You’re excited at the prospect of working with a high performing executive team.
- You thrive in a fast paced environment with shifting deadlines and priorities.
- You like to work on multiple initiatives at the same time.
- You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
- You are someone who firmly believes that each person in the organization deserves a great leader. You strive to lead by example and consistently demonstrate the values of integrity, courage and passion. You take a genuine interest in other people, listen carefully, tell the truth and explain “the why.” You lead by empowering and trusting people to make decisions. You strive for excellence and extraordinary results, set priorities and simplify work, and you congratulate people for a job well done. You are culturally astute and thrive in an organization where you have the opportunity to impact and influence across functions and geographies.
- If this sounds like you, we would like to have a conversation with you about joining our team!
- At Whelan, we are passionate about our employees. We believe in providing the best talent available within the industry and fostering an atmosphere where our people feel inspired, encouraged, and rewarded. Our comprehensive program of employee benefits, performance incentives, and individual recognition awards significantly enhances our ability to attract, retain and motivate an incredible team of dedicated professionals.
- Whelan Security is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- BS/BA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field
Be Supported: Whelan employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, supplemental benefits, (including dental, vision, short term disability, life insurance, and legal assistance plans), 401(k) retirement plan, employee assistance program, prescription discount cards, paid vacations, and more!
Be Challenged: Our extensive training program and career progression opportunities create an environment where employees can thrive, succeed, and enhance their careers.
Be Rewarded: We are proud to acknowledge and reward exceptional employees who make a difference to customers, the team, and the organization through our comprehensive Employee Recognition Program.
Be Valued: We are more than a team – we are a family! The distinctive culture of our family business sets us apart from every other contract security company in the industry.
Take the next step in your future and begin the process of joining our team – click apply! Serious applicants only.
Not convinced? Listen to what our team members have to say!