The name “Zion” means a place of peace and refuge. As a sanctuary with over 146,000 acres of cliffs, canyons, diverse plant and animal life, and uninterrupted beauty, Zion is well-named. Its massive sandstone walls, some as high as 3,800 feet, offer an opportunity for serenity and reflection for all who visit—and Zion Lodge offers the only in-park lodging inside this hiker’s paradise. Zion National Park Lodge offers 82 guestrooms and suites, 40 cabins, a full service restaurant serving local favorites, a café serving quick meal options, and a retail operation offering local products and souvenirs.
Zion National Park Lodge is operated by Xanterra Travel Collection, a global travel and hospitality company, and the Nations’ largest operator of park –based hotels, restaurants and stores. Xanterra’s operations encompass some of the most spectacular and iconic places on Earth. Xanterra takes pride in combining these dramatic settings, landmark buildings, and global travel experiences with truly exceptional service. We seek leaders with a passion for hospitality and who exemplify our twelve values: leadership, respect, candor, guest service, attitude, teamwork, environment, community, innovation, honesty & integrity, profitability.
The HR Manager will direct and support all property-wide Human Resource-related initiatives.
- Quickly become conversant and knowledgeable with Xanterra Parks & Resorts policies and procedures ensuring a fully functioning understanding of and ability to effectively operate in the HR Manager position within sixty to ninety days of job commencement.
- Oversee and implement staff recruitment to fill 150+ seasonal jobs and year around positions in the park each year with the highest quality applicants. Ensure standards established to facilitate application review and the extension of job offers are maintained and upheld.
- Direct and support administration of Company benefits, training and development programs, employee recognition programs and employee orientation.
- Administration of seasonal and year-round company housing in Zion National Park. Ensure facilities meet Xanterra & National Park Service standards of cleanliness and safety. Direct and support dorm proctor and night security to enforce resident conduct rules and administer employee discipline in conjunction with operational managers as required.
- In conjunction with the General Manager develop and implement fair and equitable policies for employees of the Company. Ensure all Human Resources functions and operations comply with State and Federal Law as well as Company policy.
- Offer guidance to all levels of management with respect to Human Resources issues, Company policy and procedure and employment law. Possess up-to-date knowledge of recent developments in the area of employment law and particularly Utah State law.
- In conjunction with Controller, prepare and administer annual budget for Human Resources, Housing, and Employee Recreation departments.
- Assist in the development and implementation of annual wage package for Company employees.
- Support all departments in the best interests of the Company.
- Participate in senior management staff meetings as required communicating effectively with the General Manager and other team members as needed.
- Employee conflict resolution oversight.
- Liaison with payroll administrator.
- Supervise Employee Recreation program and functions.
- Employee property shuttle oversight.
- Directly responsible for property Workers Compensation reporting.
- Be available as scheduled to cover assigned Manager on Call duties.
- Perform administrative and clerical duties to support the HR department.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- In-depth knowledge of various employment-related laws and practices.
- Employee investigation and management coaching experience is highly preferred.
- Significant recruiting experience, including seasonal and international recruiting.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Time management and business communication skills
- Excellent Organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- A working knowledge of Kronos timekeeping, Lawson and iCIMS or other ATS system preferred.
- Prior experience with National Park or seasonal operations a plus.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree, equivalent related experience and/or combination considered. PHR or SPHR certification is highly preferred.